Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2006 FXST/I idling/running issues....help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
SB73
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 FXST/I idling/running issues....help!

Hey everybody.....got a question for all you motorheads out there. First things first. Bought a 2006 FXST/I about 2 months ago. Been riding everyday to work and back since, with no problems....until now. Mods (that I know of include), Ness Stage 1 Big Sucker kit, Python staggered duals, and possibly a stage 1 program (the only reason I say that is because when running the bike in DIAG mode it throws a p/n-34363-06). It also shows me a P/N-68921-01d & P/N-67033-04A. Also when I run DIAG mode I get "none" on all of the sections it goes through (PSSpt). So i presume that all is good. I was riding home Monday from the store and all of the sudden the bike started missing like crazy, sputtering, backfiring through the throttle body. I barley limped it back to the house. Talked to some friends that ride, they said check the plugs, run some fuel injector cleaner throught it, i might have got ahold of some bad gas. Filled the tank up a couple of days before all this started happening, so I haven't ruled out bad gas yet. Talked to an independent shop around town and they were leaning more towards a CPK going out, so I figured what the heck, $50 bucks and it's good to go.....wrooong..So I put the new CPK and a new set of plugs in it. Same thing. Bikes starts with authority everytime, then dies abruptly. Backfiring through the throttle body bad. Ran the DIAG again, still showing no codes. Got to looking around and spotted several posts regarding the Bank Angle Sensor, Throttle Poistion Sensor, and the Turn Signal Module. The bike does not have security on it. I like to think of myself as a good hand with a wrench but my new toy with all it's technical wizardry has got me stumped....and pissed. I figured I'd at least get a good year or 2 of riding before I started running into little issues. Now I gotta listen to the Yamaha riders at work this week when I'm forced to drive the 4runner to work. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance.....SB,TX

Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

You might have a clogged fuel filter. Does sound like you got bad gas. How many miles on it?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
SB73
2nd Gear

Hey 02, my bike has a little over 13k on it. I was kind of leaning towards the gas issue myself. After all of the searching I've been doing on this forum mainly, and an extensive search of the web, I've come to the conclusion that it could be a plethora of scenarios.

I'll probably end up pulling the tank this week when I get off, and check for the leaking "pin-hole" line inside the tank, and make sure the fuel pressure regulator housing isn't warped also (and replace the filter of course). I did do a little more research about an "IAC - idle air control" going bad. That's the last thing I did this morning was make sure that there was no gunk up in the IAC. Cleaned it real good. No change. Tank comes next.

I am bound and friggin' determined to fix this with out having to take it somewhere, hopefully that's where all the extensive knowledge of this forum comes into play!!! I'll keep you updated (hopefully in a couple of days) Not being able to ride is killin' me...and it's only been since Monday!!!! Thanks again...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a good site for part #'s, breakdowns, and prices. Id replace the hoses with submersible fuel line while your in there and get rid of that clear crappy hose. Good luck.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-PUMP-ASSEMBLY

Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
SB73
2nd Gear

Thanks for the help 02! I'll be diving off in it this weekend when I get off. Stay tuned for details. Thanks again dude!!! SB

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM
SB73
2nd Gear
Exclamation Found the gremlin!!!!!!!!

Hey 02' and anybody else out there, beware of the cracked fuel regulator housing tabs!!! That's what was causing all my headaches the past week. Saw some pics of a guys Electra that had the same issues (starting, but not idling and popping back through the throttle body) and when I took the assembly out of my tank....BAM!!! there it was. Cracked tab that holds the housing in place, and the o-ring was bulging out at the side of the regulator. And to think I only threw 2 sensors at it before finding the problem. $15 part for the housing and $2.50 for some hose clamps......who needs $50-$80 an hour labor charges?....not me!!! Glad to be back on 2 wheels finally!!! I'll try and get some pics up. SB

Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Yep. I look mine over every time I do a filter but forgot to mention others have had that issue. Glad your on 2 wheels agian. Did you upgrade your fuel line?