Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need help....fires on one cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
neverdown
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help....fires on one cylinder.

Bike just stopped going down the road. Get started, runs on one cylinder. Put on new coils, plugs and plug wires. Rewired the whole bike. Set the TDC and rotate the Crane ignition module until the light goes out ( as per instructions on install manual ) Yesterday, started, fires on both cylinders( I assume, as both pipes are hot ) runs real bad. Today, started and runs on the rear cylinder, front pipe is cold. Spews black smoke. Have not done a compression check, but feels like it's ok, as when I do a check for spark it feels strong out the plug hole. SOMEONE SUGGESTED PERHAPS A BAD HEAD GASKET?
Any ideas here? I am running a TP 107c.i. dual coil, single fire. Crane Ignition. I have been down for eight weeks, as I had it in the shop for a broken tranny sprocket....took a month to fix it! Now down a couple weeks trying to figure this out. Dont want to take it to the shop again, probably wont get it back till winter!
Help, please!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it a nose cone ignition, I suspect the heat has killed it and it needs to be replaced. Nose cone ignitions and running on one cylinder usually means failed ignition. It is usually the rear cylinder that drops out.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
neverdown
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is there anyway to test the ignition module? The little light goes on with power and does flicker when the starter cranks.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap the wires from the ignition so that the rear coil fires the front cylinder and the front coil fires the rear cylinder. Swap the plug wires too. If the problem moves to the rear cylinder the module is bad.