Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spark plugs not firing

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Klor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spark plugs not firing

Hello HD Forums,

I own a "99" Wide Glide with an S&S Carb

In the past 2 years been having problems with the rear cylinder intermittently firing and then not and running on one cylinder.
I've replaced the Coil, Plug Wires, Voltage regulator and this year thinking that my 10 year old Crane Fireball Ignition module maybe bad (it seems that I can't adjust settings for a good timing and would back fire through exhaust. 2 weeks ago bike fired up with no probs, till this week. When the items were new 10 years ago...turn over and bang running like a top.)

In 2010 had to replace S&S .585 cam, one cam lobe was worn 1/2" after 50,000 miles on it.

So...replaced Crane ignition module with a Daytona TC88 module yesterday...still no fire to the plugs with either module.

The bike turns over fine and the cylinders are getting juice...?????

Next thing I've been thinking, could either the crank sensor or cam sensor be going bad????

Thank You for any and all advice that anyone may have

Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ditch the POS Crane unit! I spent months tracing an intermittant miss on the rear jug only to find it ALL dissappeared wehn i installed a new Ultima Single Fire ignition.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GraemeR
Ditch the POS Crane unit! I spent months tracing an intermittant miss on the rear jug only to find it ALL dissappeared wehn i installed a new Ultima Single Fire ignition.
He has already replaced the Crane with a Daytona TC88.

Don't those aftermarket carb ignitions bypass the the early cam position sensors. That would lead me to think it is the crank position sensor or the coil.

Will that model give codes via the speedometer?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Klor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ajayrk
He has already replaced the Crane with a Daytona TC88.

Don't those aftermarket carb ignitions bypass the the early cam position sensors. That would lead me to think it is the crank position sensor or the coil.

Will that model give codes via the speedometer?

I noticed someone had posted the codes on another thread and have c&p to word.

I plan on today to see if following the procedure to access them will work on the "99"...I didn't notice if the poster had mentioned year(s) this would work.

Still odd that when pulling the plugs and grounding them I have no spark????, but if the sensor is shot..then no signal

Hope I can get at the codes

Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

+1 on the coil.

the intermittent issue of losing fire at the rear cylinder.. did you by chance move plug wires around to see if the issue moved to the front cylinder?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+2 on the coil. get a spare from someone (or buy a new one as they are not expensive) and see where that takes you.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Klor.. got a couple more things for you to try if you have a digital meter.

check voltage on center pin at the coil. should be 12v. when that center pin is plugged in, you should also have 12 coming out of the other two pins.

next check your resistance between the center pin and each outer pin.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

also i believe that your 99 is the 1st year of the TC88 Dyna which also introduced a nice new "product enhancement" as HD likes to call it. When your battery gets to 11.9v, the ECM shuts down the coil. Have you checked the battery?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Klor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Klor.. got a couple more things for you to try if you have a digital meter.

check voltage on center pin at the coil. should be 12v. when that center pin is plugged in, you should also have 12 coming out of the other two pins.

next check your resistance between the center pin and each outer pin.
Thanks UltraNutZ!

I'll give that a look as well!...that is one of the parts I also replaced, had a stock one, then thought this may have gone bad and purchased a Crane coil...
Both the stock (13 years old) and the new Crane, I have change out off and on to try and figure out the prob, still comes out with the same results....

Thanks All for your input!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Klor
6th Gear

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
also i believe that your 99 is the 1st year of the TC88 Dyna which also introduced a nice new "product enhancement" as HD likes to call it. When your battery gets to 11.9v, the ECM shuts down the coil. Have you checked the battery?
Have purchased a new battery this year...Odyssey Extreme and have kept a charger on it to keep up a full charge

Quick Reply: Spark plugs not firing