Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V INERR Error Code on Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM
toryhardin92
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleyluvr4u
I have been experiencing this code on my 2015 FLHXC, over the weekend it poped up again and the bike totally died when starting. I removed the fuse, replaced the fuse after a few mins and it started ok. The rest of the day it was good. I try to start the following day, same code and everything went dead. Checked what I could and nothing. No power for 3 days. Harley came to pick up the bike and after pushing it on the truck and it sitting for a few minutes, the power came back on and seemed ok. We started it twice no problem, then the 3rd start, was very, very rough, and very low power and through code again... Does anyone know what this code is or why the bike is having loss of power like this???? I just do not want Harley telling me they cant find anything and I get stranded or worse because of this loss of power.... Any help would be apprreciated.

did you figure this out ?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:47 AM
toryhardin92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Junior_co
The engine is the stock 103 and the only after market part is the SE slip on exhaust....

The battery issue seems a probable cause due to another issue that comes up sometimes as well...

about 90% of the starts, it starts fine but the battery light comes on for a second after the bike starts and then goes back off... This was why the dealer changed out the voltage regulator thinking it was the cause of that issue. It got a bit less frequent but still does it. But now it's doing this V INERR thing also...

I'll try to get the battery load tested this week and see what happens then...

Thanks for the input and I'll update this after I find out more...

Junior
cpuld the regulator be at fault for this ????!

Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I get the same thing when my bike sits for 3 or 4 day, not often,. If i keep a tender hooked up, it doesn't throw the code. Im sure its the battery.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM
toryhardin92
Advanced

Originally Posted by rsking45
I get the same thing when my bike sits for 3 or 4 day, not often,. If i keep a tender hooked up, it doesn't throw the code. Im sure its the battery.

do do you get a hard start as well? Like it doesn’t want to turn over ?

i changed out my regulator and battery and now it runs great. My fear is my stator may not be good and I am going to ruin my new battery and new regulator.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM
jamesw1301
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior_co
Get this error code sometimes on start up...
As you can hear, it gets this when it has a hard start...

It's a 2012 Wide Glide... 5300 miles and it just got a new voltage regulator. It wasn't on the recall list, but they swapped it out anyway...

There have been some other threads on this, but I've not really gotten a good idea of what it may be caused by.

Any thoughts?

Junior
I have a 14' street bob that is doing the exact same thing. Was it for sure the battery that was causing the issue? Or, after battery replacement did you get the error code again down the road?

Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw1301
I have a 14' street bob that is doing the exact same thing. Was it for sure the battery that was causing the issue? Or, after battery replacement did you get the error code again down the road?
Battery was the last thing that was changed before the problem went away. Haven't had that Vinnerr since. But, like I've said before, they also changed the voltage regulator, before the battery was changed...

I've recently had a cell in my battery go bad and it left me on the side of the road, but even though I had a bunch of weird symptoms with that, I still never got the Vinnerr...

Personally, I'd try putting a new battery in. Seems that some weird symptoms pop up with bad batteries...

Hope this helps...

Junior

Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by toryhardin92

do do you get a hard start as well? Like it doesn’t want to turn over ?

i changed out my regulator and battery and now it runs great. My fear is my stator may not be good and I am going to ruin my new battery and new regulator.
Yep it will turn over once real slow then start. Thats when I get the code. Its only when the bike sits for a few 3 or for 4 days

Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

I used to work in the electrical department of a high end boat manufacturer and we made all our electrical cables for the engine and other system in the boats. We would add 1-2" of cable length to prevent the assemblers from installing the cables end to end "banjo string" tight, and all other wires had a service loop to prevent the tight wire install. I had a Sportster that the positive cable looked fine at the connection , I peeled back the shrink wrap and found more than half of the strands had corroded and separated from the lug. Cables can hide a lot of problems and a little preventative maintenance can help.