Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DIY Flash programming stock EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM
redbeard_trucks
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY Flash programming stock EFI

Hello...sorry for the techy nerdy question..

I know there are alot of goot tuning tools out there... not looking for advice on those, but looking for some basic information on how to.

I'm a do-it yourself, software electrical engineer, looking for ways to reprogram my stock fuel injection maps.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on re-programming..

i'm looking for J1850 specs, J2534 specs, bootload code, programming protocols, etc..

do I have any fellow techies on here? that might now some insight?

I've been scouring the internet and cant find the information..

any clues would be greatly appreciated...

hit me up if you have any clues...

Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You will have better success by using the re-mapping tools available on the market rather than re-calibrating the ECM with J2534 tools...unless you have a lot of cash to blow out the window. The HD Vtwin engine is nothing like an automotive application which may be what you are used to since you asked this question. Try putting a vacuum gauge on a Harley Engine and then watch it while you rev it up in neutral. Then imagine re-calibrating the ECM. Oh yeah, don't forget the engine is air cooled so this all changes as the temps rise.

FYI, My choice for best tuner software is TTS Mastertune.

http://www.mastertune.net/

They did the first SE Race tuner for Harley Davidson.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

If you want tech info on the particular protocols on different tuning devices though;
1.) you'd be better off beating your head up against a brick wall than trying to get any info out of HD, even very basic knowledge.
2.) Steve Cole who manufactures the TTS (my choice as well) will probably talk to you to some extent about the intricacies of how his device connects and communicates (reading and writing) with the HD ECM but I wouldn't expect much more than general knowledge on the subject.
3.) Jamie at Fuel Moto is very familiar with the Dynojet products and can probably talk your ear off as well but again, nothing too detailed I'm sure.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good Luck OP. You have to reverse engineer to get in there. Steve will not tell you and Jamie is only a distributor and has no clue.

Buy a tuner.

The following users liked this post:
DevTUNE (02-26-2024)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Good Luck OP. You have to reverse engineer to get in there. Steve will not tell you and Jamie is only a distributor and has no clue.
Buy a tuner.
The underlined is false man, Jamie Long knows alot of stuff about FI bikes , he is not just a distributor he helped design and develop the PV along with dynojet,and I'm sure has extensive knowledge about harleys and the ecm. But at the same time he does not have the time to explain in detail to every user who buys a piece of hardware from him. He will however bend himself backwards to make sure his customers are satisfied and thier bikes running sweet and strong!

To the OP, unfortunately what your asking is more of a course than a phone call away. I recommend power vision by dynojet for you because like TTS it records data and applies it, but there is also quie the learning process involved just in that. There is a 300 + page post just above by people who understand the PV to different extents called power vision information thread.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i think my point was misunderstood.
both of these folks know these products inside and out as well as the HD FI and ECM systems. Neither is going to give any information to anyone other than general knowledge that can be found on these forums or in their respective manuals. The OP is asking for someone to help him as wurk_truk explained "reverse engineer" a way to get in and program an ECM. Good luck with that! TTS and DJ (as well as others)have been around a long time and none would even remotely think about divulging this kind of knowledge.

That's like me and wurk_truk being competitors both with a widget. I go to wurk_truk and ask for his designs so I can make or improve my own. He'd laugh at me if not shoot at me on the way out the door!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by maddghost
The underlined is false man, Jamie Long knows alot of stuff about FI bikes , he is not just a distributor he helped design and develop the PV along with dynojet,and I'm sure has extensive knowledge about harleys and the ecm. But at the same time he does not have the time to explain in detail to every user who buys a piece of hardware from him. He will however bend himself backwards to make sure his customers are satisfied and thier bikes running sweet .
Dude, you are madly mistaken about Jamie and his role in things. He is like the TOP best distributor that I know of, but in NO FRIGGING WAY did he work with Drew Industries trying to develop the PV for DJ! And before your little girl panties get in a knot... It's NOT a bad thing that Drew Industries makes the PV. Same as Thunderheart makes the TMax for Zippers. SPX makes the SEPST. The red above is true, the rest, not so much. Jamie could IN NO WAY tell someone how to code, just like I cannot.

Jamie's role in this was testing and running screaming eagle and TTS tunes thru the conflabulator (haha!)software to create new base maps. I sure wish TTS would do the same back at them, too. That's a 'one up' for Jamie.

But..... all Jamie is to DJ, is what Doc is to TTS. TOP TOP tuner's who understand TUNING and NOT coding at all. If the OP wishes to hear anything at all? I would recommend he contact member Rufus over at HTT.

But... facts are facts. The actual HYPE on this site is amazing!!! Some of you 'buy' into so much crap. I KNOW Steve Cole. I KNOW Jamie Long but don't get along much. I KNOW Doc... I also KNOW Drew Industries.too. And... knowing the dude at Drew opened this all up for me.

How many of these tuner MFGs do YOU know? How often do YOU talk to them? Thats what I thought... pure HDF BS.

I think Jamie is one of the better tuners going... but come on... God is God and Jamie ain't related.....

If someone were to simply call Dan at DJ and politely ask... the truth may be revealed to all.... or not! HAHA!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 11-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM
redbeard_trucks
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys for the input...i really didn't think anyone would know the information... I am guessing it's proprietary information... but I thought I would ask.

i just like to hack and look at things... been analyzing the signals with a oscilliscope and PC software I wrote to read the messages.. they aren't making alot of sense, which is why I thought I would ask if anyone knows.

thanks!

I have used SERT and Power Vision, which is what I'm using while evaluating the signals...

they both seem like pretty solid programs, that work well. i have to say I like the display and functionality of the power vision system!

cool stuff....

i always want to figure out how stuff works... used to **** my mom off when I would take her radios and vacuum's apart... didn't always get them back together...

cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by redbeard_trucks:
DevTUNE (02-26-2024), GROOVY1975 (02-11-2024)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 AM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am no programmer or coder but i found myself pondering this subject just the other day.
tho my interest is a little more basic, for example if i have an se race tuner (any variation) and i decide to change bikes why cant i just reset/delete things so that it is not married to the first bike and install it on my next bike.
i get that you can sell more product if you have to buy a tuner for every bike and more importantly to keep people from buying/selling used tuners (read sell more product) but if a guy is happy with the tuner he shouldnt have to replace the 500 dollar item every time he buys a new 20,000 dollar toy

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by goats
i am no programmer or coder but i found myself pondering this subject just the other day.
tho my interest is a little more basic, for example if i have an se race tuner (any variation) and i decide to change bikes why cant i just reset/delete things so that it is not married to the first bike and install it on my next bike.
i get that you can sell more product if you have to buy a tuner for every bike and more importantly to keep people from buying/selling used tuners (read sell more product) but if a guy is happy with the tuner he shouldnt have to replace the 500 dollar item every time he buys a new 20,000 dollar toy
You ARE correct.... $$$$$

Now, if the OP could figure out a hack to simply unlock that 'marriage', we would ALL be in business.

Quick Reply: DIY Flash programming stock EFI