Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Replacing Dual Coil With Stock Coil

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 AM
run_ride_hide
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Dual Coil With Stock Coil

I have been restoring a 93 Fatboy since spring and I am getting close to the finishline. My skills are mostly on the mechanical side; not much at electrical. Anyway, the coil on the bike is old and needed replacing so I bought a new coil from the Harley dealer. Problem is the new stock coil (picture attached) is different from what is on the bike (picture attached) and I am not sure how to wire the new one in or if I should go get a coil like the one on the bike. The bike has two coils.
Looking from the back of the bike toward the front at the back of the coils, the coil on the left is for the front cylinder. This coil has two electrical terminals, the top has a single black wire and the bottom has as two white wires hooked with a single connector, two pink wires also together with a single connector, and a black jumper wire that goes from the bottom terminal on this coil (left) to the bottom terminal on the other coil (right).
The right coil (for the rear cylinder) has a single wite wire at the top terminal and the jumper from the other coil on the bottom terminal.

The new stock coil only has two terminals and the manual shows two single white wires going to the bottom terminal and a pink wire going to the top terminal. It doesn't show a black wire.

I currently have the new coil installed with all three white wires (two going into a single connector and one with it's own connector) hooked to the bottom terminal. I have the two pink wires (single connector) going to the top terminal. And I have not done anything with the black wire yet, but I'm guessing it may go to ground.

I have not put the battery back in the bike because I am not confident that the coil is wired correctly.

Can anyone help clarify what I should do?

Attached Thumbnails Replacing Dual Coil With Stock Coil-img_1998.jpg   Replacing Dual Coil With Stock Coil-img_1996.jpg  

Last edited by run_ride_hide; 12-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM
run_ride_hide
6th Gear

Go back to the old coil for now.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Use the old coil. Or one the same as the old coil. IIRC, the EVOs used a wasted spark system, and the TCs don't, hence the different coils.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM
run_ride_hide
6th Gear

Will do, thanks for the info.