Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical/battery/starter/short prob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
hoopdog9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/battery/starter/short prob?

I have a 2008 Wide Glide. Noticed it was getting harder to start over the past month. Last week, I went to start the bike...would slowly turn over but not start...battery was almost dead...was the orig battery. Went and got a new battery.

Put in new battery and bike started up. Next day, went to start the bike and again, it slowly turned over until battery died like with the old battery...checked and no charge in the battery. I also noticed that there seemed to be a wisp of smoke coming from the positive cable were it attaches to the battery. Battery connections are good.

I took the battery off the bike and recharged it. Checked the charge after a few hours and the new battery was holding the charge...seems that when the battery is in the bike, it loses the charge after I try to start it. I am also concerned about the wisp of smoke I saw when I tried to start the bike. Could this be a short? A bad starter? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Ride safe!

Last edited by hoopdog9; 01-09-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Unlikely to be your new battery. The smoke suggests something else may be giving a poor connection, such as one of the other connectors on the high power side. Take great care! There is a grave risk of a serious short circuit if you have a tool in your hands!

Trace each battery cable and see where it goes. Do nothing else until you disconnect (I would remove) the battery. Then disconnect each of those other connectors in turn, clean, grease and refit. You may find one of them is dirty or loose.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM
hoopdog9
2nd Gear

Think it may be a bad starter? Would a bad starter cause the positive cable to smoke?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
hoopdog9
2nd Gear

I checked the positive connection from the battery to the starter...seemed fine...not corroded or loose. Ground connection also seems fine. Could it be a bad starter relay?