Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How to retrieve security pin 01 FXDL /Key FOB has button

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM
justmealwatts
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up How to retrieve security pin 01 FXDL /Key FOB has button

It took a little reading and some experimentation to retrieve and reset my security pin because my security pin does not display in the odometer readout and I believe that other people experience this issue, too. So here is my write up and maybe it will be helpful to someone. I've tried to write and explain it very clearly. It's very basic and simple. As long as you are not experiencing other electrical issues, this will work. By the way the Key FOB battery # is CR2032 which is a very common battery. By installing a new battery, you will eliminate the possibility of a weak or dead Key FOB battery.

My bike which is a 2001 FXDL, has the Key FOB with a button. TSSM module 68920-01. Instead of displaying the code in the odometer, the code is displayed in the number of times that the red security key flashes.

* YOU MUST HAVE YOUR BUTTON KEY FOB AND IT HAS TO BE THE ONE THAT HAS BEEN WORKING WITH YOUR BIKE *

Remember, my bike is an 01 FXDL and here are the instructions that worked for me to find the security key:

RETRIEVING YOUR SECURITY PIN WITH A "HD KEY FOB with a Button" for early models with Turn Signal Security Module - TSSM

1. Turn the run button to "OFF"

2. Turn the ignition to ON, then OFF, then ON, then OFF, then ON and then immediately push the left turn signal twice and the turn signals will flash, then immediately hold the key FOB close to your electrical box cover which is located just behind your coil and press the BUTTON ON THE KEY FOB TWICE and the turn signals will flash again.

***Holding the FOB close helps improve the signal just in case that you have a weak battery which is a CR2032. If you are in a super jam for a battery, you can open your desktop computer case and remove the BIOS battery which more than likely is the same battery***.

3. Now you are in the programming mode. Remember, in my case, there is not a code displaying in the odometer and the red security key is not on or flashing but once you start the process, the key will appear.

4. At this point, there are two things that can be done. You can retrieve your security code or you can put in a new one. Once you run thru the process a few times, you'll say, oh, I get it.

*This writeup is only covering the process to recover the security pin that is currently programmed in the TSSM module 68920-01*

5. There will be 5 digits involved and the digits 1-9 will be used, keep track of them, write them down because the only thing that you will be going by is a blinking light. In this example I'm going to use my birthday 71853 as the security pin.

6. OK, here we go, you are in the programming mode. KEY FOB in hand. Press the left turn signal once. The red security key will flash the number of times of the first digit. My light flashes 7 times, press the key fob button twice, the turn signals will flash 1-2 or 3 times, wait until they finish. The first # is now saved and now you are ready to find out your second #.

7. Press the left turn signal once and the red security will flash the number of times of your second #. My light flashes 1 time. Press the KEY FOB button twice and it's saved. Turn signals flash, etc...

8. Press the left turn signal once and the red security light will flash the number of times for your third #. My light flashes 8 times. Press the KEY FOB button twice and it's saved. Turn signals flash, etc...

9. Press the left turn signal once and the red security light will flash the number of times for your fourth #. My light flashes 5 times. Pres the KEY FOB button twice and it's saved. Turn signals flash, etc......

10. Press the left turn signal once and the red security light will flash the number of times of your fifth #. My light flashes 3 times. Press the KEY FOB button twice and it's saved. Turn signals flash, etc.....

11. Turn the ignition key to OFF and you are FINISHED. In my case the five #'s that I wrote down corresponding to the red security light flashing are 71853.

*** Now to check to see if the security pin # 71853 will disable the security. Remember, during this process, the odometer is not going to display any #'s and you are going to have to keep track and focus on the code that you enter because the red security key will be flashing rapidly and it does not correspond with the amount of times that you press the left turn switch while you are entering your code. The red security light will be flashing rapidly thru the entire process and after you enter your last digit, the red security key will turn off.***

12. Here we go: This process works with my RUN button being ON or OFF.
Turn on your security by pressing the KEY FOB BUTTON once or it's possible that your security may already be on which is indicated by the red security key slowly blinking.

13. Turn your key to the accesory position and immediately hold down both turn signal buttons and release them and the red security key should start flashing rapidly.
[ By the way, pressing the right button SAVES your input when you are programming]

There are not any pauses in this process, so using the security code 71853 as an example: Here we go:

press the left turn signal button 7 times, right button once
press the left turn signal button 1 time, right button once
press the left turn signal button 8 times, right button once
press the left turn signal button 5 times, right button once
press the left turn signal button 3 times, right button once

*** Your red security key should now go off and your security is now disabled ***

P.S. To change your security pin, it is almost the exact same steps as retrieving your security. To change your security pin, follow the directions in the attached PDF and use Table 3.3 on page 3.8 but remember that in this case, there will not be any digits being displayed in the odometer.

I know that this type of info has been out on the internet for 10+ years but I've found out that every little bit helps.

Attached is a OEM PDF link from a 04 Softail and it works on my 01 FXDL for setting the auto-arm security, the security sensitivity, storage mode, the emergency flashers for up to 2 hours with security or turning on your emergency flashers and leaving them on while you are parked or riding your bike with the security off and last but not least, retrieving and changing your security pin. Please note that the odometer display for the security pin obviously works on other bikes but not on mine.

http://www.craigwolford.com/04%20SOFTAIL/se03a.pdf

Last edited by justmealwatts; 04-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.