Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2010 FLHTCU Throttle stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Da-mack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 FLHTCU Throttle stopped working

So the wife and I head out on a day trip. We rode for about 1-1/2 hours. Easy going...nothing hard or fast. Parked the bike for about an hour and walked around the shops. Got back on the bike and headed out. We were cruising through a residential area so I was keeping my speed at 30mph. After about 10-15 minutes I feel the bike just slow down. At first I thought it died but it didn't...it just went to an idle speed of 1000rpm but there was no response to twisting the throttle. The check engine light came on so I pulled into a parking lot. I twisted the throttle a couple more times and it seam like the response was starting to come back. I let the bike idle and it seemed to run just fine.

I shut the bike off, waited a minute or so and started the bike again. The bike started up just fine, no check engine light and throttle was back to normal. The wife got back on and we took off again. We got on the highway and rode for about 35 minutes. I even used the cruise control. We then stopped for some dinner.

After dinner, the bike started right up and all was well and we rode home for another 35 minutes...no problems at all...nothing.

I get home, shut of the bike and we unload. After about 15 minutes I checked for any codes. All I got was these two;

DTC: B1008
FAULT CONDITION: Trip Odometer Reset Switch Closed???????????

DTC: P0152
FAULT CONDITION: Rear O2 sensor high (rich)????????

The only thing I can think of that might have made the bike "brain fart" was when we were going down hills...I may have inadvertently rolled the throttle forward and held it there for a bit (with the clutch pulled) because we were in some traffic right before it got pissed at me.

Anybody got anything?????

Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 PM
terrylinda08SG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Just wanted to know if you ever got a answer to your question
As the same thing just happened to my 2008 street glide this weekend
So before I take it in to the dealer and try to BS me so they can clean my bank account out
Lol
Just wanted to know
Thanks for your time
Terry

Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Da-mack
Tourer

On another forum I got a reply and found some more info searching for "Twist Grip Sensor". It seems that the electrical connectors for the twist grips sensor (electronic throttle) can get moisture in them and sometimes work loose. I was told that the fix is to pull the the twist grip sensor out of the handle bar and take apart the connectors, apply some dielectric grease and then snap the connectors back together. It was also recommended that I use some small zip ties to better secure the connector together. For me, I will also have to open the front of my fairing so as to disconnect the twist grip wiring harness in there first before pulling the twist grip out of the handle bar.

The posts that I found in my search were divided in that some guys have had this happen once or twice and then never again. For others, it became a chronic thing. I'm not feeling ambitious enough to open my fairing just yet so I'm going with that this was a fluke kind of thing and it won't happen again (yeah right). If it does...then I'll crack open the fairing and pull the harness.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Da-mack
Tourer

Another thing I'm also considering is the diagnostics reporting the rear O2 sensor reading "rich". I guess the lack of throttle response is the bike's "limp home" mode. So this problem could be an O2 sensor thing. Regardless, I cleared the codes and we'll see what happens.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 AM
foxhd
Cruiser
Default similar problem

I was going to make a new post but it seems to fit here.
Twice this week, and once each of the last 2 years this happened to me. Check engine light came on. Bike would only run in limp mode. (high idle). I removed the ecm fuse, replaced it and all was fine. This time I checked codes. P1511-throttle activator control power management failure of throttle control activator. and P2135-TPS correlation error. What does a home mechanic do?
It is interesting that none of this is in the shop manual.
I cleared the codes and it is running well now. I would hate to relive this problem on the interstate. It's a 2009 streetglide with 20K on it.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Da-mack
Tourer

I never got the throttle codes you got. At the time my incident happened, I was about 60 miles from home in another town. I'm thinking it may have been caused by the way I was riding. I was in 3rd gear, in a residential area, some traffic, some hills and curves. As I was going down hill in traffic, I left the bike in gear and had the tranny keep my speed down. At the same time I let off the throttle and the bike would rumble a bit and sometimes pop. This may have caused my "rich" O2 condition.

Subscribe to this thread as I have done and lets keep each other informed of what happens. Good luck

Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, this has happened to me and a few of my buddies on a couple of occasions.
We have never gone to look at the codes but the problem seems to be with the Throttle Position Connector located at the Throttle Body. Remove the connector or try just moving it around and every time the throttle has come back to life. I have discussed this with the dealer and he just shrugs his shoulders. I hate to say it but one more little secrete Harley issue that seems to happen to a lot of folks.
I have removed my connector and smeared it dielectric grease but have encountered the issue one other time since having done that.
Not sure what to do beyond that, I continue to ride, knowing what I know.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
foxhd
Cruiser

I also figure that knowing what I know will keep me going too. Just that with this, I don't know too much. But it does run better since clearing the codes. But not a word about this in the service manual.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 AM
Kickstarter
Novice

Help! my 2009 throttle failed today for first time with 41k miles. Simply no response to throttle. Open the throttle all the way and stopped at 1800 RPM, I then disconnect the 8 o'clock throttle body plug and started engine, same response unplugged as plugged. I tried to ride to the dealer at 1500 RPM and made several stops along the way. Eventually after several restarts of engine the throttle started working again. Rode for an hour home bound with no problem. I did notice the little red key light alarm signal was on the speedo and alternated with the orange engine light on speedo, eventually they both stopped. Now I'm feeling insecure to ride out of town. Looking on here for diagnosis. Wondering if I can clean twist grip contacts, and other contacts.