Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter won't engage when Bike is hot, Battery is good. Starter will engage cold.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Starter won't engage when Bike is hot, Battery is good. Starter will engage cold.

When the Bike is cold the starter engages and it starts normally. After riding for thirty minutes or so then stopping, I turn it off... then start it a couple of times... After sitting for about five minutes the starter won't engage. I hear the solenoid click but the starter won't engage... Even if I put jumper cables on it... After the Bike cools down, the starter will engage again? My Mechanic put on a new battery, a new starter and a new voltage regulator... I don't think it needed any of those... I am suspecting a problem with a ground connection somewhere from the battery to the starter. What would make the starter not engage when when the Bike is Hot, but engage when cold... My Bike is an 07 Ultra Classic. If you have an 07 Ultra and the Compensator has not been replaced with the Screaming Eagle Compensator get that done. The Original one is defective... when it starts going bad it sounds like a washing machine coming apart when trying to start the Bike Hot. Terrible noise. You can sometimes get it to start by putting it in gear and rocking the bike to move the engine a little... I don't know why that worked but it did... any how the SE compesator fixed that problem about thirty thousand miles ago...

Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter picks up it's ground thru the (2) mounting bolts on the inner primary. They have easy access and I'd check them first.

A starter clutch that is going south will at times make one gawd awful screech when the engine is hot. A kit runs about $150.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Why would the starter ground only be bad when the hot

Why would the starter ground at the mounting bolts only be bad when the bike is hot?Are you talking about where the bolts on the starter itself?