Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine (Head) Temp Woods 555 Cams Question

Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Question Engine (Head) Temp Woods 555 Cams Question

When my 2011 Fatboy Lo was just a 96" with a stage 1 (A/C & Slip ons), I would see cruising temps right around 250-270° on a 85-95° day. This is with using a Dynojet file off their website. Using a Power Vision for monitoring. I originally used a Fuel Moto file given to me by them, but that seemed to run a few degrees warmer. Similar to what I have wrote below after doing my engine upgrade.

I got my bike back from Harley last Friday from having a complete engine teardown (splitting cases & installing 12' & newer style engine case). It now is a 103" with SE cast 10:1 pistons & Woods 555 cams, along with the slip ons and air cleaner. Stock heads, aside from MCR machined in.

I now see cruising temps right around 285-310° on a 85-95° day according to my Power Vision with a tune supplied from Fuel Moto. The tune I was given was from a softail running 777 cams, but was told it was fairly close to 555 cam tunes. Which seems like it is from what I can tell.

I now decided to pull a few files from Dynojets website to compare their AFR files. Best I could find was files for Stage 1 softails. No cams etc. Their AFR table runs a little richer in the middle of the AFR table, & slightly leaner at max MAP. So I used the Dynojet AFR table and pulled a few of the AFR cells from Fuel Moto's AFR table. I now see cruising temps of 270-290° on a 85-95° day.

Cruising speed generally 65-70 MPH. The higher side of temps from all of above was usually at speeds of 35-45 MPH with little to no stoplights.

So what are other peoples engine (head) temps at that are using Woods 555 cams, or even similar? I'm trying to find a baseline for engine temp. That way I know when I'm running a little to hot etc.

Last edited by load97; 09-03-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Only help I have is reading that Bob Wood recommends running an oil cooler after installing the 555s or 777s. My plan is to run the Wards Cylinder fans - serves the same purpose, just a different approach.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to address timing. The555s like a lot of timing. Too retarded of timing will shoot the temps thru the roof. 290*+, you will be hitting the temp tables and its pulling even more timing... making the problem even worse. 250 or less is what temps you should be seeing.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

I would think the fuel moto map that was for 777 cams I received would have had plenty of timing. I was planning on adding timing eventually. But figured it would only be 1-2 degrees on top of what fuel moto has already added (if they even added any I guess). I do plan on adding a cooler over the winter.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Aye,Wards FCS do keep temps down. Try running a few autotunes (Caution AT pulls 4 more deg. timing)and see how your VE's adjust to the new build.Canned tunes are just a starting point.(maybe even go for the PV Pro version wideband kit) Adjust timing accordingly.try AFR down to 13.9ish or lower.I'm no expert but thats where I'd start.(use at your own risk)Definatly get more help/info from the real experts,Or after spending all that just have it Dyno'd.You have a good bit of potential power there.BTW There's a huge PV sticky thread in here, Start around page 300 or so. GL

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

That thread is a mess. I've been auto tuning currently. No plans for a dyno this year. Want to get pipes this winter. Then dyno. I've used two other pieces of tuning software for cars over the last 10 years, so I have a fair grip on the principles of tuning. I wish there was a repository of tune files that others have done to compare tables etc, like there is for certain autos. I might contact fuel moto to if I don't get things worked out.

Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by load97; 09-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
That thread is a mess. I've been auto tuning currently. No plans for a dyno this year. Want to get pipes this winter. Then dyno. I've used two other pieces of tuning software for cars over the last 10 years, so I have a fair grip on the principles of tuning. I wish there was a repository of tune files that others have done to compare tables etc, like there is for certain autos. I might contact fuel moto to if I don't get things worked out.

Thanks for the advice though.
I got a 107 w/555's done a couple months ago and ended up throwing a lot of timing at the cruise range to get things to cool off a little, some areas I added over 10 degrees advance. I'm at work right now but if you want to PM me your email I could send you my .pvv file this evening so you could check it out. I'm still working the tune over so it's not perfect but it will give you an idea of the direction I've gone. My current ambient temps are in the 105-110 degree range during the day so it's been hard to get good consistant data as far as engine temp, one red light or getting stuck doing 25-35 mph is all it take to send the engine temp through the roof. I do know the timing changes have cooled it a bit and helped slow temp increase a bit and the bike seems to be happier with the advanced timing.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. I appreciate it. I sent you a PM. I see you have some head work done etc, but still gives me an idea.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you are doing the right things. Your temps have gone up 20 degrees but according to the designer higher temps are normal - how much, I don't know, would be a good question for FM.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have 555's in my build and we (wurk-truk) had to add quite a bit of timing to cool it down. I was seeing about the same temps as you now it runs 250ish all day

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine (Head) Temp Woods 555 Cams Question