Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 AM
allsop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added the T-Max -
and went through the timing chest with mods in signature. My FXD is no longer the same machine. Gets finer with every mile ridden. As soon as I get some significant mileage on the changes, I will go back into the T-Max and observe what is happening.

Now, there was no base map close to the changes I had made, especially b/c of the cam choice. So a stock map with free flowing pipes was the best I could get. Bike feels on the rich side, but compared to how poorly it ran in closed loop, I don't care.

I would also like to say that the 26H cams was an awesome choice. Pulls like a freight train in any gear at any speed. My year seems to have unusually high gearing, stock could not use 6th gear effectively even at x-way speeds, the 26H cams let it lope along as low as 60 mph now.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:35 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an opportunity to pickup used/new (never been open) TM model 309-360 from a private seller. Model #309-460 super seeded this one. It is 2-1/2 years old, but like I stated never has been open. I contacted TM and the assured me it will work for my 06 electrglide, and as long as he has never registered it and I get the receipt, the warranty is still valid. I think for about 6 months, since it has allready 2-1/2 yrs since purchase. I have not verified that part yet. I am trying for $500, but most likely more around $600. He wants $700 OBO! Is it worth it, knowing the warranty will soon run out?

Old 05-25-2015, 07:07 PM
allsop
Advanced

I did not use mine for atleast a couple years after the purchase was made. The first install is when the warranty started, it stated so in the registration and software updates. I also remember 3 years warranty.

If you do purchase it, the first usage will take up an afternoon with all the software, firmware, registration etc. And keep the VIN of your bike handy seems to me I needed it a couple times. Once these obstacles are cleared it's smooth sailing.

Would purchase this product again, what it has done for my bike is amazing.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, good to know.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After doing a check in the service data, where you check the rpm and head temp logs and save the info. Do you clear the module or just leave the data alone?

Old 05-30-2015, 09:37 PM
allsop
Advanced

I would also like to add, I disconnected the re-breather crank vents from the TBI after installing the T-Max. This was another HUGE step. Instantly noticeable. Fuel line replacement will be next but most likely at the end of the season.

Last edited by allsop; 05-30-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 AM
allsop
Advanced

My T-Max map is evolving,

I can now cruise in sixth gear as low as 50 mph ! Stock set-up would not let me use sixth at 70 mph.

I am having a small problem, seems I am getting hard engine shut-off's once in a while. Going to have to investigate may be other things in play here.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:26 PM
da Celt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SH_01FXDWG
I have an opportunity to pickup used/new (never been open) TM model 309-360 from a private seller. Model #309-460 super seeded this one. It is 2-1/2 years old, but like I stated never has been open. I contacted TM and the assured me it will work for my 06 electrglide, and as long as he has never registered it and I get the receipt, the warranty is still valid. I think for about 6 months, since it has allready 2-1/2 yrs since purchase. I have not verified that part yet. I am trying for $500, but most likely more around $600. He wants $700 OBO! Is it worth it, knowing the warranty will soon run out?
Since you can get this all day long from Amazon new and with the o2 sensor auto tune extension,
Amazon.com: Thunder Heart Performance Thundermax ECM with Integral Auto Tune System 309-460: Automotive Amazon.com: Thunder Heart Performance Thundermax ECM with Integral Auto Tune System 309-460: Automotive
I'd probably opt for that instead, imho.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 AM
prider
Intermediate
Default Low end

Read the Thunder Max manuals. Map adjustment a little confusing for me. . Seems to me most of the adjustment is dedicated to the mid and upper ranges. Does anyone have any input on the lower end. My 103 with stage 1 upgrade seem under powered wants to shudder unless I rev the motor and ride the clutch when taking off. Not sure if it is tuning or mechanical. Just had $2000.00 (extended warranty) repair to motor, cams lifter etc. MY trike is a 2011 with 97000+miles.
Thanks

P.S. Like my present mechanic but he prefers dyno wants me to remove Thunder max. Not on the same page.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:54 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by prider
Read the Thunder Max manuals. Map adjustment a little confusing for me. . Seems to me most of the adjustment is dedicated to the mid and upper ranges. Does anyone have any input on the lower end. My 103 with stage 1 upgrade seem under powered wants to shudder unless I rev the motor and ride the clutch when taking off. Not sure if it is tuning or mechanical. Just had $2000.00 (extended warranty) repair to motor, cams lifter etc. MY trike is a 2011 with 97000+miles.
Thanks

P.S. Like my present mechanic but he prefers dyno wants me to remove Thunder max. Not on the same page.
It does adjustments starting from idle speeds and from a cold engine, so I'm not sure what you're looking at.
How many miles since you last did an auto tune?
In the meantime, until someone jumps in here with some suggestions, I would recommend to run a data log and send it to Zippers, describing the problem you have.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread