Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

B2161h - PN 41000349F error code on diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 09:22 PM
FatNerd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B2161h - PN 41000349F error code on diagnostic

I got error B2161h - PN 41000349F on diagnostics. The part number seems to be referent to the BCM Security Y-Axis module.
What this error code exactly means?

Bike is a 2020 Fat Boy 114.

Old 01-16-2023, 09:34 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,517 Likes on 6,888 Posts

Congratulations on your first post to HDF, to the Forum.

B2161 Brake lamp output open, the h is for historical. Clear the code and see if it returns. Then report back.

Disregard the PN.

See Website for codes:

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html

The following users liked this post:
FatNerd (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 10:50 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 870 Posts

Welcome.

The "h" indicates it is an historic code. The actual code typically means there is an open in the brake lamp circuit. If the brake lights are working correctly (front and rear brakes), clear the code and see if it returns.

Paul

FatNerd (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 12:07 AM
FatNerd
2nd Gear

Thank you very much for the quick replies! So, searching for "B2161" I could find some information on Google I could not find when I was including the trailing `h`.

According to a 2016 service manual I found on the Internet B2161 is triggered when the brake circuit is draining less than 120 mA.

The brake light and all others are working fine. However, I recall there was a BCM error that was cleared by the dealer twice. The dealer told me that was related to a lamp, and the only non-led lamp in my bike is the license plate light. So, they erased the code and they told me to observe if a red lamp would light in the motorcycle's dash while riding. If so, I'd have to check a malfunction related to the license plate's lamp because it could be an intermittent problem. I never spotted the red light on the dash.

They also said that error (that I don't know if it was the same code) could be triggered by holding the brake for a few minutes while the bike is running, caused by a bad habit. I don't think this is my case either. In addition, according to that service manual the error code in this case would be `B2223`. Then, it seem they knew it was an error related to a lamp, but they did not really research what was the exact error.

I realize the black plastic part that covers the license plate's light is running really hot, to the point to almost burn my fingers if I hold there. Is this high temperature normal?

Old 01-17-2023, 06:49 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,517 Likes on 6,888 Posts

That high of temperature is not normal and would indicate high resistance, maybe try swapping out the bulb or checking to see if the bulb is in the socket firmly. A little dielectric grease will help with the contact, just a little on the connectors not a big glob.

There is a recall on some of the models for a software up date. Plug your VIN in here to see if yours is included:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...e-recalls.html

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 01-17-2023 at 07:19 AM.
pgreer (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 06:55 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by FatNerd
Thank you very much for the quick replies! So, searching for "B2161" I could find some information on Google I could not find when I was including the trailing `h`.

According to a 2016 service manual I found on the Internet B2161 is triggered when the brake circuit is draining less than 120 mA.

The brake light and all others are working fine. However, I recall there was a BCM error that was cleared by the dealer twice. The dealer told me that was related to a lamp, and the only non-led lamp in my bike is the license plate light. So, they erased the code and they told me to observe if a red lamp would light in the motorcycle's dash while riding. If so, I'd have to check a malfunction related to the license plate's lamp because it could be an intermittent problem. I never spotted the red light on the dash.

They also said that error (that I don't know if it was the same code) could be triggered by holding the brake for a few minutes while the bike is running, caused by a bad habit. I don't think this is my case either. In addition, according to that service manual the error code in this case would be `B2223`. Then, it seem they knew it was an error related to a lamp, but they did not really research what was the exact error.

I realize the black plastic part that covers the license plate's light is running really hot, to the point to almost burn my fingers if I hold there. Is this high temperature normal?
The bulb generally doesn't get that hot. If the bulb replaced using a generic bulb,some low price generic bulbs from auto parts stores can run hot. So I think I'd get a new bulb from HD and see if that solves the problems.

LED's are nice and brighter, and they draw less current. But with the later CANBUS vehicles that monitor current draw, anything that changes that could set a code and/or warning light. If you change to LED's, get them form HD or a manufacturer that has support for their product (Custom Dynamics is another example).

Paul

Old 03-08-2024, 10:22 AM
FatNerd
2nd Gear

I'd like to thank everyone who helped pointing possible points of failure and how to fix them!

Some updates:

- License plate bulb overheating
The license plate bulb is the original one, and I could not identify what is causing its overheat. According to the HD technician, it is normal, and they said other similar bikes have the plastic cover also with heat marks.

- Error B2161h
I finally debugged it. I realized it is being caused sometimes when I hold the front brake lever, and after releasing the lever the brake lights still on.
According to HD, it may be a spring that disconnects the sensor that needs to be replaced. The bike is there for other services and waiting for other parts to arrive. Let's see if they finally fix it.

pgreer (03-08-2024)