Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor Y
Tommyblazin, I have a couple year old version, maybe 3 year old on my 2008 Ultra Classic CVO Screaming Eagle.
Love it!
When you first install in and load the base map and everything is set up, well that first ride, you will get some backfiring for the first 10 miles maybe until it heats up to 200 deg F and starts learning and adjusting. From there on in, your good to go.
If the backfire continues, you can use your laptop and adjust one setting from 0 to 1 and this takes care of your problems.
You won't be disappointed. The tech support is great.
When i got mine, I watched the videos, I called support and he told me which map to use with my cam and duals and head work and intake and mufflers.
She runs nice and smooth.
I am a guy that likes to play around with setting and tweak so I'm kind of use to the lap top and the program, but you can learn just like I did, the instructions are very easy to follow.
Note the wide band sensors are the larger diameter sensors and if you might have to change out the bungs on your headers, read about that or ask tech support before you buy so you know what you might have to do.
Trev
appreciate that brotha...yea I'm a controls guy HVAC so, I play with laptops on 2 million dollar chiller systems etc...lol. so I think I'm set there...

Old 08-04-2017, 04:34 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
did they update or fix this I had my heart set on it, as I read it CONSTANTLY ADJUST the tune to the weather/elevation/etc...than I read of all these problems with backfiring problems, all sorts of bad things, than once again I saw the thundermax in a WAVE version? maybe the earlier, anyhow, how do you guys honestly like em, I HATE THE FP3 wanna throw it down the toilet, I don't think it does a damm thing? lol.....
I have a 2014 FLHXS, bought and installed the Thundermax and could not be happier. I did experience a little bit of a lag at 2500 rpm so I went into the "Timing" at that point and added a couple of deg + and it went away. Bike runs awesome , no decel pop ,and acceleration is great.
When I first installed the fuel mileage sucked but it is much better now. I can see significant adjustments to the fuel tables so far.
The more I ride the better it gets! Bought mine from Cycle Solutions with a pre loaded map for much less than anyone else offered with great customer support. BTW I am not affiliated with them at all, stumbled across them when looking for a Thundermax.

Note: I did have a head pipe that had the o2 bungs for the wide band o2 sensors.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:51 AM
Winddancer4u
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 04 ultra with stock 88,ANess big sucker and crusher mellows..
I currently have Cobra true duals, but I am pulling them off and putting on
S&S Power Duals. Since power duals are actually different then True duals or stock,
and power duals are not available for my engine build, which would be the best choice, Stock or True dual.
Thank you..

Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Winddancer4u
I have an 04 ultra with stock 88,ANess big sucker and crusher mellows..
I currently have Cobra true duals, but I am pulling them off and putting on
S&S Power Duals. Since power duals are actually different then True duals or stock,
and power duals are not available for my engine build, which would be the best choice, Stock or True dual.
Thank you..

I did the same thing with Bassani mufflers. Went from VnH true dual head pipes to KW duals which are the same headpipes as the SnS PDs. Didn't do any thing other than a auto tune.. A stage 1 bike shouldn't have any issues.. Mine motor was 10.8 to 1. 95 ci, with ported heads and Crane H290 cam.. Took a couple rides for things to smooth out and a autotune..

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
TOMMYBLAZIN (09-08-2017), Winddancer4u (09-01-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:04 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I did the same thing with Bassani mufflers. Went from VnH true dual head pipes to KW duals which are the same headpipes as the SnS PDs. Didn't do any thing other than a auto tune.. A stage 1 bike shouldn't have any issues.. Mine motor was 10.8 to 1. 95 ci, with ported heads and Crane H290 cam.. Took a couple rides for things to smooth out and a autotune..
did you auto tune right away? also I have 10.1 comp went from 96-107.and stage 1 heads, and ported throttle body...I like the features, its what I'm looking for just hate that I have to remove stock ecm, when you turn bike on, how does it learn all that harley had programmed into that eco? like alarm etc...all the OTHER features?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure why you would autotune right away..

You need let the tmax do it's thing.

Not sure what you are asking.. The Tmax is a full functioning ECM..

Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

well I have to break in a new motor, so I want the tune to change as the weather does, so breaking it in, it has same conditions throughout process....than ill dyne tune it later, or auto tune...thanks

Old 09-09-2017, 11:34 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
well I have to break in a new motor, so I want the tune to change as the weather does, so breaking it in, it has same conditions throughout process....than ill dyne tune it later, or auto tune...thanks
As I've mentioned many times, there is no advantage to trying to break in a new build by guessing at the calibration to be used.
There are numerous advantages to getting a new build, with several heat cycles, to a dyno for break in where the operator monitors and controls rpms, heat, and loading.
There is no better way to treat your brand new build than to put it in the hands of an experienced tuner to be sure to give the motor what it wants/needs to run properly. No hesitations, hiccups, backfiring, abnormal heat buildup, because all that is done by proper break in procedures...just like real race engines.
No downside to dyno break-in. Been breaking in performance builds for the past 15years without a bad result...just smiles for miles.
All that said, we certainly have seen plenty of builds gone bad due to excessively lean and/or rich that prevented proper breakin and results vary from oil usage, smoking, especially on decel, to shortened engine life and poor performance.
HTH,
Bob

Old 09-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
As I've mentioned many times, there is no advantage to trying to break in a new build by guessing at the calibration to be used.
There are numerous advantages to getting a new build, with several heat cycles, to a dyno for break in where the operator monitors and controls rpms, heat, and loading.
There is no better way to treat your brand new build than to put it in the hands of an experienced tuner to be sure to give the motor what it wants/needs to run properly. No hesitations, hiccups, backfiring, abnormal heat buildup, because all that is done by proper break in procedures...just like real race engines.
No downside to dyno break-in. Been breaking in performance builds for the past 15years without a bad result...just smiles for miles.
All that said, we certainly have seen plenty of builds gone bad due to excessively lean and/or rich that prevented proper breakin and results vary from oil usage, smoking, especially on decel, to shortened engine life and poor performance.
HTH,
Bob
That's the good thing about the Tmax.. It corrects AFR errors on the fly..

Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
That's the good thing about the Tmax.. It corrects AFR errors on the fly..
so no dyno needed with the Tmax?

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread