Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by tcazes
which makes me really wish we had knock sensors so that it could control timing too. lol

i say run an autotune every 500 miles. i know for the first 1000 miles or so i would do it at every fill up and it got progressively better and better.
What is "it"

Old 07-05-2018, 11:54 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

...........oh you know.......

run autotune

Old 07-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Sauraus
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished rebuilding my wife’s 2013 FLS top end and went to start the bike yesterday and the only thing I got was a loud bang from the exhaust, the bike cranks over just fine with no hesitation or slow down leaving me to believe the battery is not bad.

I contacted TM to get the base map and they suggested 794 from their library for the following setup: S&S 107ci big-bore, S&S 89cc heads, S&S MR103CE cams, S&S 58mm throttle body, S&S tappets, Fueling 9944 injectors (6.2gr), Fueling cam plate, Fueling oil pump. I also went through the steps to adjust the entire map for the bigger injectors per TM’s instructions as the 794 map was developed with 4.89gr injectors in mind.

I also noticed that when I selected ‘Monitor’ from the TM software that the TPS marker line never actually reaches 0, it is always showing the throttle being 10+ degrees open which cannot be right. So I removed the TPS sensor from the throttle body and disconnected the TPS wire and still no joy the TPS marker line did not show 0 degree open.

I’ve sent a support case to TM but I was hoping someone here might be able to help me figure out that is wrong.

thank you all

Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Make sure you do the on off initialization.. TPS should be at 10 to 14 by default.. It is correct. To lazy to explain why right now.. Sounds like you have your plug wires crossed. Possibly fuel injector wires also. You can use the injector compensation on whet ever map you choose. I'd set injector timing to 360 deg.. That motor will likely run better with the 4.89s.

The following users liked this post:
Sauraus (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Sauraus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Make sure you do the on off initialization.. TPS should be at 10 to 14 by default.. It is correct. To lazy to explain why right now.. Sounds like you have your plug wires crossed. Possibly fuel injector wires also. You can use the injector compensation on whet ever map you choose. I'd set injector timing to 360 deg.. That motor will likely run better with the 4.89s.
FACEPALM you are absolutely right I crossed the plug wires, will fix this and try again.

As for the injectors, it was S&S tech recommendation that I install >6 gr injectors for the setup. Larger injectors just means shorter bursts no? Or does anything else change because of this?

Old 07-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Also make sure that the valve spring clear the lower rockers and if you are using roller rockers the rockers clear the tops.

Sauraus (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Sauraus
Advanced

Also make sure that the valve spring clear the lower rockers and if you are using roller rockers the rockers clear the tops.
The entire top end is S&S, cylinders, heads & rocker covers and according to S&S tech it all fits and when turning the engine by hand I did not encounter any resistance of any kind that I would expect if there were clearance issues.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sauraus

FACEPALM you are absolutely right I crossed the plug wires, will fix this and try again.

As for the injectors, it was S&S tech recommendation that I install >6 gr injectors for the setup. Larger injectors just means shorter bursts no? Or does anything else change because of this?
I would question whether the SnS tech has done anything with Tmax. One of the weak points for Tmax is how they deal with injector timing. It's pretty simple and doesn't really change much except for the duration. When you go to a larger injector spray times for putting around can be really short. These short times can make the motor run a little rough at lower speeds. As I understand it, it is best to spray on the back side of the valve when it's closed. at lower speeds.. Also bigger injectors spray bigger droplets. The 2 issues make it hard for the motor to have a clean burn. Poor burn is the nemesis of a closed loop EFI system as it make it hard to get a good sample of the AFR. Anyway bike with tmax run better when the injector is the smallest possible to meet the demands of the motor.

Sauraus (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Sauraus
Advanced

I would question whether the SnS tech has done anything with Tmax. One of the weak points for Tmax is how they deal with injector timing. It's pretty simple and doesn't really change much except for the duration. When you go to a larger injector spray times for putting around can be really short. These short times can make the motor run a little rough at lower speeds. As I understand it, it is best to spray on the back side of the valve when it's closed. at lower speeds.. Also bigger injectors spray bigger droplets. The 2 issues make it hard for the motor to have a clean burn. Poor burn is the nemesis of a closed loop EFI system as it make it hard to get a good sample of the AFR. Anyway bike with tmax run better when the injector is the smallest possible to meet the demands of the motor.
The S&S tech knew about me installing a TMax on the bike, still have the old stock injectors which I believe are 4.89 gr worst case take off and replace I guess.

Last edited by Sauraus; 07-22-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:54 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

In my experience what Max has stated appiies to any EFI system. Much better low rpm/load fuel control over larger-than-necessary injectors. Yet another example of bigger is NOT better.
I have reduced oversized injectors a few times over the years to get much better tunes which translate into better rideabilty.
Bob

Sauraus (07-22-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread