Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thundermax ECM Thread

There seems to be a thread for all the other tuners out there so I figured I would start one for the Thundermax ECM. The hope is to facilitate information sharing in regards to tuning, tuning tips and tuning issues with the ECM.

I've used other tuners but was drawn to the Thundermax because of the auto tune capabilities and the fact that I don't have to set my AFR at 14.6 to operate in closed loop. Also, I'm always changing things on my bikes. It's nice not having to dyno or V-Tune after every change.. Needless to say, I'm a big fan, but there have been times where I wish I had a forum or easy access to a professional tuner to assist with issues.

I have two Softails, both of which have the Thundermax. One bike is mostly stock with the exception of the exhaust and air cleaner. There is a base map for the exact combination on that bike. I loaded the map and it runs perfect. No issues at all. I was amazed how fast the auto tune corrected the fuel flow to meet target AFRs.

My Night Train was a differet story. I put a Thundermax on the Night Train when I installed a Procharger, heads, cams and exhaust and I was not happy with the results. The bike ran great at WOT but it cruised horrible between 1700-3000 RPM at part throttle. There was decal pop as well as popping and surging under low load cruising . I played with the AFRs and easily got rid of the decal pop but after several weeks of adjustments could not cure the surging and popping while cruising. Eventually, I started to look beyond the AFRs and realized that the cam specs for the tune that I was provided by Procharger was way different than my cam.

I loaded a new map that had cam specs similar to my cam, added a little extra fuel at the WOT settings, pulled a little timing, and let the auto tune do its thing. I took the bike out for about two hours. I rode it easy at first and it ran much better with the new map. There was still some popping but the surging was gone. Then it was time to start grabbing some throttle. I started gradually increasing the RPM of my WOT runs until I eventually hit my rev limit. I did several 6th gear pulls to allow the ECM more time at each RPM range to make adjustments. Again, it is amazing how fast the auto tune corrected the fuel flow. Even with a tune that was not developed for a boosted application. After one ride, the bike ran just as good at WOT as before. I compared the new tunes learned fuel offsets to the Procharger supplied tune and they were almost identical. However, when I compared the timing of the two tunes they were drastically different at part throttle. I'm almost 100% sure that the timing was the root of my drivability issues.

I have addend additional timing to the affected RPM range. This helped but I still have not been able to completely cure popping. I currently have the advanced set to 36 degrees at part throttle between 2000-3200 rpm.

I'm wondering just how much advance you can safely run at part throttle without causing problems. Any thoughts out there.

The following users liked this post:
Adirondack Bob (04-07-2022)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't answer your questions as I have some issues that I was working through. I did a Stage 1 with full sac 1-3/4 in baffles. I was getting a lot of ping at high RPM and WOT conditions. Following the guidance provided I used a couple of strips of blue tape on the throttle and was able to identify my problem areas. I had to reduce the timing in certain RPM/throttle positions and was able to chase that one to a close. Now I am trying to increase my MPG's, but am not having much luck. I get between 35 and 38 MPG consistently. I like the control the TMax gives me over all parameters of engine control.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Boost
Tourer

I've actually had zero ping at this point. As mentioned earlier, I've been gradually advancing the timing and the bike seem to run a little better each time. I'm going to keep adding a degree or two between rides until I start to hear some ping and the back it down three degree.

I Play with my AFRs all the time for mileage and heat management. In the winter and on long rides I run pretty lean at 14.3 AFR for better gas mileage. I add fuel during the summer and when I know I'll be riding in heavy stop and go traffic like at bike Week. 13.5 AFR seems to keep the heat monster away a little longer.

Last edited by Boost; 10-24-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Boost
Tourer

Here is a snapshot of my timing vs TPS table at 2048 rpm. Set similar thru 3000. Just wondering how much timing other guys are running this range. especially if you are running a Tman TR-555 or similar cam. Have read some automotive forums where guys are running up to 45 deg advance in this range.

Last edited by Boost; 11-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hdbigblue (03-13-2020)
Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow,
You have laid on about 10 degrees of timing is the first 14 degrees of throttle. You are not hearing any pinging? I only ask because I had to pull so much timing advance out of mine mostly at WOT conditions. But I was getting a lot of ping in other throttle positions as well. I will have to see if I can pull a screen capture and post it.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Boost
Tourer

No ping whatsoever.

I was curious about adding timing after reading some automotive information about flame burn rates being slower at part throttle conditions due to lower cylinder pressures. The slower burn rates require more timing (as much as 45 deg BTDC). I've found a few MT7 (TTS Master Tune) calibrations that have Advance set a 45 BTDC under these conditions. Have not personally seen a Thundermax tune with 45 deg advance at part throttle but the same principals apply regardless of what tuner you use.

Last edited by Boost; 10-28-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:45 PM
cycle crazy
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack this but I'd like to ask....I'm about to change my exhaust & I can't seem to unscrew the 02 sensor due to it having a wire connected to it which then goes to a two way connection ( plug) can't seem to pull apart this connection... is there a trick to it?
Thx!!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 PM
knight2491
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what size, but when i do the ones on the car I disconnect the wire at and thread a 6 point wrench on to it and then turn them off that way, if not they do make an o2 sensor socket but I have never needed one. hope that helps.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM
cycle crazy
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knight2491
Not sure what size, but when i do the ones on the car I disconnect the wire at and thread a 6 point wrench on to it and then turn them off that way, if not they do make an o2 sensor socket but I have never needed one. hope that helps.
Disconnect the wire at?? Seems the sentence isn't complete. My problem is I cant figure out how to disconnect the plug at the sensor..I have no problem unscrewing the 02 sensor using the tool I have.
Thx

Old 11-09-2013, 06:17 AM
eleft
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle crazy
Disconnect the wire at?? Seems the sentence isn't complete. My problem is I cant figure out how to disconnect the plug at the sensor..I have no problem unscrewing the 02 sensor using the tool I have.
Thx
I tried to post a .pdf page from my manual but the file is to large. Look up "Delphi Connector" on Google.?
Al

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread