Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Charging issues - diagnostic help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 AM
lost_in_calgary
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging issues - diagnostic help

Long Story.....

Bike is a 2007 FXSTCi

The bike has an aftermarket Kuryakan LED charging light indicator.

The bike up until a couple of days ago ran with 2red, 2 amber and 2 green lights lit on the LED. This indicates about 14volts. I had never put a voltmeter on it to check exactly what voltage the light indicated.

A couple of days ago the 2nd green light started to flicker and the engine check light came on then after about 5 minutes went out. When I got home I put a voltmeter on and the voltage is running about 13.7V, with the light flickering.

The battery with ignition off is 12.95V, ignition on 12.6-12.7V. Starting the voltage drops to 10volts.

On start up (ignition on and run) I get the engine check light come on for its diagnostic time, go off, then come back on for about 10-20seconds then go off. It does this where the bike is running or not. Since the light is off can I check codes?

On start up the I get 2 red, 2 amber, and 1 green. I have to rev the engine before the second green light will come on flickering.

I pulled the voltage reg off to get to the plug to check the stator. I checked the stator I have 1ohms between any 2 connectors. I have an open to ground on all connectors. I have 20V AC at idle between any 2 connectors which increases to 40-50vAC when reved. This seems to be how it is suppose to behave.

I put it all back together and had the second green light flickering on startup and solid while riding for about a day and half. It has now return to 1 green on start and the second flickering at speed.

The only thing that changed when I tested the stator was I removed the regulator to get to the connector. One of the bolts holding the regulator has a ground attached.

End of the long story.

I believe I have 13.7V to my battery when the light is flickering, which is low IMO. I believe I should have 2 solid green lights to indicate 14+ volts at idle or riding.

Have I suddenly developed a poor ground for the regulator?
Do I have a bad diode in the regulator? What symptoms would a burnt diode show?
Is there any way to test the regulator output other than a voltmeter on the battery?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lost_in_calgary
Long Story.....

Bike is a 2007 FXSTCi

The bike has an aftermarket Kuryakan LED charging light indicator.

The bike up until a couple of days ago ran with 2red, 2 amber and 2 green lights lit on the LED. This indicates about 14volts. I had never put a voltmeter on it to check exactly what voltage the light indicated.

A couple of days ago the 2nd green light started to flicker and the engine check light came on then after about 5 minutes went out. When I got home I put a voltmeter on and the voltage is running about 13.7V, with the light flickering.

The battery with ignition off is 12.95V, ignition on 12.6-12.7V. Starting the voltage drops to 10volts.

On start up (ignition on and run) I get the engine check light come on for its diagnostic time, go off, then come back on for about 10-20seconds then go off. It does this where the bike is running or not. Since the light is off can I check codes?

On start up the I get 2 red, 2 amber, and 1 green. I have to rev the engine before the second green light will come on flickering.

I pulled the voltage reg off to get to the plug to check the stator. I checked the stator I have 1ohms between any 2 connectors. I have an open to ground on all connectors. I have 20V AC at idle between any 2 connectors which increases to 40-50vAC when reved. This seems to be how it is suppose to behave.

I put it all back together and had the second green light flickering on startup and solid while riding for about a day and half. It has now return to 1 green on start and the second flickering at speed.

The only thing that changed when I tested the stator was I removed the regulator to get to the connector. One of the bolts holding the regulator has a ground attached.

End of the long story.

I believe I have 13.7V to my battery when the light is flickering, which is low IMO. I believe I should have 2 solid green lights to indicate 14+ volts at idle or riding.

Have I suddenly developed a poor ground for the regulator?
Do I have a bad diode in the regulator? What symptoms would a burnt diode show?
Is there any way to test the regulator output other than a voltmeter on the battery?

Thanks
The regulator output is low. You should be able to verify the ground at the regulator, just look for a voltage drop from the regulator to the frame. It's probably not the problem as you had it apart and replaced it.

I suspect the regulator is failing. It doesn't really matter if the failure mode is a bad diode or not, as you can't replace the diodes. Stator looks good, and the regulator output is low. All you can do is look at is the output from the regulator.

Replace the regulator.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
The regulator output is low. You should be able to verify the ground at the regulator, just look for a voltage drop from the regulator to the frame. It's probably not the problem as you had it apart and replaced it.

I suspect the regulator is failing. It doesn't really matter if the failure mode is a bad diode or not, as you can't replace the diodes. Stator looks good, and the regulator output is low. All you can do is look at is the output from the regulator.

Replace the regulator.
Yep, ditto. Replace the regulator.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM
lost_in_calgary
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Engine check light had nothing to do with problem. I download codes and it was an old code.

Bike still runs as stated. 1 solid green on start up and then after about 1/2 mile it will go to 1 solid and 1 flickering or 2 solid green.

I have not checked the ground yet, hoping for that versus a regulator. Realistically, it probably is the regulator.

Thanks