Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Magnetti Morelli replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:37 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Magnetti Morelli replacement options?

I have a 2001 95" Screamin' Eagle with the dreaded Magnetti-Morelli fuel injection. The bike runs well but... I have this annoying hesitation more than likely cause by a rich mixture that causes the bike to stutter when it is on a load (hills, full throttle) at about 2800-3100 rpm. I could probably just live with it, but it is getting to the point where I have to take it to the stealer at the beginning of the season for an "adjustment" which as always a $250+ deal.
  • I've seen the Zipper's Thundermax kit that swaps out the entire EFI at a cost of about $2500.
  • I have heard of an S&S VFI Module kit that swaps the CPU but keep the EFI, adding O2 sensors.
  • Horsepower Inc. has an upgraded throttle body but I can't find anybody who has ran one.
  • Harley also offers their upgraded ECM that has the ability to download the maps from the S&S VFI module. Haven't heard anybody running this either. Supposedly though, you can make it a wide band O2 sensor upgrade.

Does anybody have any info on running any of these? Or, on any other fix? I just dyno'd (free Dyno day at my stealer this past weekend) and I'm sitting at approx. 86 tq & 95 hp on the stock motor with a stage 1. I am hoping that I could push those numbers over 100 with an upgrade to my EFI. Is this a pipe dream?

Thx!

Last edited by yzergod; 05-27-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:49 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can't say about the increase HP with a change in EFI: believe there would need to be a change in Cam lift to change much there. as for the MM EFI I've been tinkering with mine since i bought the bike in 2010. worked great after I got it then it kinda got picky on hot and cold idle. learned to work on it and all the funny problems that go along with it: cleaning out the Throttle body vent holes, and keeping the other things tuned. I always got 44-45 MPGs during this time and it ran great. after replacing my cams back last year my gas mileage went to crap...33-35 and it started doing probably what your's was doing only at all speeds and only when hot..it would almost stall at a certain point in the throttle no matter what the rpm. you could stop the stall if you rolled on or off the throttle just a tad..also replaced the ECM with a used one that i found on ebay tuned close to my setup. finally figured out that the throttle Position sensor was bad.. replaced it 2 weeks ago, and have put nearly a 1000 miles on it trouble free and it's back to 45 mpgs and idles like it should now....

Mine was not showing a trouble code until right before i replaced the TPS...then it showed a code 11...Bad TPS>....replacing was easy except for removing the crap out of the screw heads they put in at the factory.....

Don't know if this is what yours is doing but thought i would throw that out...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ZUTEDUFF
finally figured out that the throttle Position sensor was bad...
Where I'd you pick one up? Do you have a part #? How much did it run you? I might just swap mine out just for giggles to see if it is the same problem. Did you have or run across a write-up online? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running the S&S VFI with the S&S 52mm single bore TB and O2 sensors. The Harley part#32423-99C replacement ECM is the same as my S&S ECM part#55-5006. So if you decide to replace your ECM only both are compatible with the MM TB using the ProTune II software. You could still run a 52mm 0r 58mm throttle body later.
In the 5yrs I've owned my '00 it as never ran better since the change out. User friendly and great tech support from S&S.

Last edited by DanDman; 05-27-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM
IowaRandy
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be following this thread. I have a 2000 Road King Police EFI with the MM. So far I haven't really had much problems, some backfires here and there, and I seem to bog down around 80-85 mph. All I've done is replace the stock slip ons with straight fishtails and put in a K&N air filter and some Pulstar he1it spark plugs. The plugs and air filter really helped with mpg and smoother running engine. But I'd still like to try and fine tune the EFI and what not.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DanDman
I'm running the S&S VFI with the S&S 52mm single bore TB and O2 sensors. The Harley part#32423-99C replacement ECM is the same as my S&S ECM part#55-5006. So if you decide to replace your ECM only both are compatible with the MM TB using the ProTune II software.
I'm wondering if the new ECM (HD part# 41000012A) is an updated version. It says that it is compatible with the S&S VFI maps and that it can be upgraded to utilize O2 sensors and has a USB to upload changes.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...idsonparts.htm

there's the online site for Ronnie's Harley..They have a part's finder that will take you to the location of the part and the part number and price. my # was 27271-95 for the TPS. I ordered from Surdyke Harley and it was here within a week.... cost was around 87.00 shipped..

there is a link to youtube on the TPS for a Harley MM. this is checking the volts and adjusting which was pretty handy..If you've got a service manual it will also give you the correct way to remove and install along with adjustment. I used the numbers on the you tube video. The Manual and the video show setting the new TPS at .275 volts on the throttle being totally closed. then screw in the cold idle until it reads .650 volts. After that is set you may have to adjust the hot or cold idle to get it just right...

Mine already had a BB kit, SE heads, and SE257 cams when i bought it..I went in and checked the tensioners and found that they were not real bad but i found that the cam lobes were galled. I went with S&S 570 EZ start cams and gear drive. After the install my mileage went down but it was several months before it started running like crap. In the cold weather it seemed ok, but was terrible when ambient air was hot. During all the investigation as to what was wrong I also found that the harness connector to the ECM was loose. the bail that holds down the connector had come up and the connector was about 1/16 of an inch above the ECM.. I changed out the ECM and thought that it fixed but about 3 weeks ago it was hot here and it started stumbling so bad that it finally thru a trouble code. Oh yeah,, I did suspect the TPS before this since you could stop the stumble by either rolling on or off the throttle. I took a can of computer duster back during last summer when i was having a lot of problems with it and turned the can upside down and sprayed the TPS. instead of air you get the propellant which is most likely propane and it froze the TPS for a moment. This stopped the stumble while I rode the 11 miles home. When it started stumbling again, i sprayed it going down the road and it would stop. Don't know that this is your problem but could be a place to start checking.

....Sorry for the Novel...

Old 05-28-2014, 03:06 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
I'm wondering if the new ECM (HD part# 41000012A) is an updated version. It says that it is compatible with the S&S VFI maps and that it can be upgraded to utilize O2 sensors and has a USB to upload changes.
I haven't seen the new HD ecm. I have both the S&S and the HD 32423-99c. The ecm's I have are setup to run a serial port cable. The new S&S part# also has the USB style
There's a few features on the software that I can't access with mine.

Last edited by DanDman; 05-28-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanDman
I haven't seen the new HD ecm. I have both the S&S and the HD 32423-99c. The ecm's I have are setup to run a serial port cable. The new S&S part# also has the USB style
There's a few features on the software that I can't access with mine.
If I ever need an ECM again, I will think real serious about the S&S..Like how you can plug a computer in with the serial port and program.....

Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran an HPI 51mm throttle body on my 01 97" Ultra til throttle linkage wore out. I just put the MM throttle body back on so I can ride until later this year when i'll have it rebuilt and put back on. Ran great, excellent throttle response, 42 mpg, and 99.98 hp, and 99.89 tq with Woods TW5G cams, which come in early and run out around 4200 rpm.

Quick Reply: Magnetti Morelli replacement options?