Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel line repair made a little easier - 2000 & earlier

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM
Rkahl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the fuel lines from Goodridge, does anyone know if these lines have the check valves built in? Can I remove the check valves that are screwed into the tank?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 AM
jgaughen
Stage III

I hope people are still watching this thread. I have a 1996 Tour Glide with fuel leaking out of my return line (I guess it's because that's the one under more pressure). I have done all the reading, looked at the part numbers, and I am ready to pull the trigger on the Goodridge lines, but I got to wondering if you could replace the lines with the newer quick connect lines instead. I don't see any posts on it, so it may not be possible, but sounds like 0734 has a handle on how it all goes together. It looks like the threaded seat in the tank is the same on the quick connect, but I don't know for sure. This is my first Harley, and I have only had it for two months. My tank was rusted on the inside. So I pulled it, cleaned the heck out it, put it all back together with new pump and filter, only to have fuel pouring (well dripping quickly) out of the return line. What do you suggest?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 AM
Bryanmac
Stage IV

Originally Posted by jgaughen
I hope people are still watching this thread. I have a 1996 Tour Glide with fuel leaking out of my return line (I guess it's because that's the one under more pressure). I have done all the reading, looked at the part numbers, and I am ready to pull the trigger on the Goodridge lines, but I got to wondering if you could replace the lines with the newer quick connect lines instead. I don't see any posts on it, so it may not be possible, but sounds like 0734 has a handle on how it all goes together. It looks like the threaded seat in the tank is the same on the quick connect, but I don't know for sure. This is my first Harley, and I have only had it for two months. My tank was rusted on the inside. So I pulled it, cleaned the heck out it, put it all back together with new pump and filter, only to have fuel pouring (well dripping quickly) out of the return line. What do you suggest?
Originally Posted by 0734
Where there is a will....there is a way!

You took a slightly different approach than I did and I'm not beating on your procedure. If it works for you....that's great. However....as you indicated and got a bit nervous about, this particular fix will not last forever and sooner or later those O-rings will leak again. I hope they never do. I simply decided that I would rid myself of the cursed O-rings....and that's why I took the route of just gutting the nuts and installing NPT fittings.

I will admit that it's a bit aggravating to do that, but it's a "final fix". Even the expensive Goodridge lines have metric 0-rings in them and they would be very hard to find out there on the side of the road. They have to be the EXACT size. I have had one here that cut deeply into the horn bracket due to rubbing....so watch how you run those.

Messages to me concerning the fuel line fix have been picking up lately and I offer to build the tank nuts for anybody that will send me their old lines. $20 plus postage both ways for two gutted, drilled and tapped nuts and I'll send your old lines back for the final build. There are several ways that I have not pictured as to how you can put AN/JIC fittings on the hose-ends to make a professional and permanent job of it. My initial information concerned being able to get your bike back on the road no matter where it started leaking.

Anyone can PM me for further information.
2001 flhtcui has the mm will the hdfl005 Goodridge lines work according to dennis kirk they won't fit but I belive they think it's a delfi system pm me please

Old 09-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Bryanmac
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Bodean46
Where can I find the Goodridge replacement lines for my 01 MM injected Ultra? Dennis Kirk shows up to 98, but not 01.
any luck finding the lines I'm in same boat on a 2001 ultra

Old 11-03-2018, 08:36 PM
nucklehead13
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Solved the why is the S&S Super E popping out the carburetor after the manual told the ignition could be the problem, which had me check the HI-4N wiring which made me pull the spark plugs for the initial Top Dead Centre timing, which had enough good luck to let me discover the front cylinder spark plug wire coil end came off the wire. That made me guess the vibration must be shaking it loose, but the spark plug wire end repair did not hold up. The mystery got solved while fixing the spark plug wire again today when I noticed the fuel hose ran close enough to flap into the spark plug wire. I then remember running the fuel hose between the spark plug wires right where they plug into the coil.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 PM
LZEE
Stage I

Originally Posted by 0734
Where there is a will....there is a way!

You took a slightly different approach than I did and I'm not beating on your procedure. If it works for you....that's great. However....as you indicated and got a bit nervous about, this particular fix will not last forever and sooner or later those O-rings will leak again. I hope they never do. I simply decided that I would rid myself of the cursed O-rings....and that's why I took the route of just gutting the nuts and installing NPT fittings.

I will admit that it's a bit aggravating to do that, but it's a "final fix". Even the expensive Goodridge lines have metric 0-rings in them and they would be very hard to find out there on the side of the road. They have to be the EXACT size. I have had one here that cut deeply into the horn bracket due to rubbing....so watch how you run those.

Messages to me concerning the fuel line fix have been picking up lately and I offer to build the tank nuts for anybody that will send me their old lines. $20 plus postage both ways for two gutted, drilled and tapped nuts and I'll send your old lines back for the final build. There are several ways that I have not pictured as to how you can put AN/JIC fittings on the hose-ends to make a professional and permanent job of it. My initial information concerned being able to get your bike back on the road no matter where it started leaking.

Anyone can PM me for further information.
I’m interested in your fix just can’t for the life of me figure out how to pm you . Leonard , szeedyk@aol.com unless this gets edited 702-280-3492
Best...

Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM
1999 Roadking
2nd Gear
Thumbs up 1999 Raodking Classic EFI fuel line O ring leaking

Interested in your repair of HD fuel line leaks. I have a 1999 Raodking Classic EFI since brand new. Have been through the weeds on leaks even replacing the original with Goodridge Fuel Injection Line Hdfl005. I live in AZ and we have the blended fuel and it destroys the O-rings.. I have even replaced O-ring on the Goodriches 4 times in last 5 years.. Last time it hit me on way back from Sturges on Middle of Colorado. I had to tie a plastic bag to my Pant and fuel up until i could find a HD parts store and bite the bullet. They still leaked.???

I need a permanent solution to this Western USA fule blends eating up Oring --as i cant trust these O-ring i been getting even from Goodrich and HD..

Let me know you through on upgrading these Goodrich Lines or even better O-rings.. I need a bag of them if i travel as over last 20 years its no fun

Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 PM
1999 Roadking
2nd Gear

.. Interest in your MM fuel line repair cant PM you yet please ping me

Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM
1999 Roadking
2nd Gear

I am new this this site and it will not let me post for 30 days and post post (after reading up ) So if you received a response on this thread message me ��

Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM
1999 Roadking
2nd Gear

I am new this this site and it will not let me post for 30 days and 5 post per editor

Quick Reply: Fuel line repair made a little easier - 2000 & earlier