Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What canned map to use. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What canned map to use. Help!

Does anyone know whats a good canned map to use for a break in build. Dynojet says they have no canned map for a build like mine and to just play around until I find something that works good. Im afraid of washing the walls out before I can get enough miles to get it dyno tuned.

I have a 103 running aPC-5 (it also has a SERT thats married to the ecm from previous build) with 10.5:1 SE MVA heads, 585 cams and Supertrapp stepped header 2:1:2 mega shots with 26 discs. They told me to use their generic map 15-28-033 , which is for a HD 103 with a 255 cam and Supertrapp2:1 with 20 discs

My issue with that map it is so rich I get 23 mpg, runs fairly well on the highway at 3k, but will miss,sputter and die at stoplights, and kills spark plugs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I tried going to some sponsored sites but they will only deal with maps that were purchased from them.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member

57 views and doesnt anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

For the safety of your engine, if you cannot find a reasonably close "canned" map anywhere, you should pay the $350 to get it custom tuned, using the HD SE race tuner that you already own and that the ECM is already married to.

Not only will you take away the risk of hurting the engine with this home experimentation, but you'll also get way more power and torque, no more of the plug fouling and other issues, and your fuel mileage will improve a LOT.

To put things in perspective, my 2014 Breakout with Stage 4 103 Race kit gives me, no kidding, 45 mpg average, and I DO use the power when accelerating away from stop signs.

Jim G

Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Jim, I am hoping to get similiar numbers. I am going to have to go with a custom tune. I did learn a lot after talking to DJ. Not that it will help me though, but it was informative

Old 06-18-2014, 08:42 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My suggestion is to drive down to RC cycles and have Bob tune the bike and be done.

You can throw canned maps at it all day long, but in the end, with the way the bike is modified... it really needs a tune. Do you still have the VCI left over from when the bike was tuned with the SERT? Bob most likely will tune the SERT ( a better tune can be had) than tune the PC5.

RC Cycles is down near Haywood, and thats not really that far away.

Bob is a very good tuner and is well known in tuning circles. In your area? I would trust no one else but Bob.

http://www.rccycle.com/

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-18-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
My suggestion is to drive down to RC cycles and have Bob tune the bike and be done.

You can throw canned maps at it all day long, but in the end, with the way the bike is modified... it really needs a tune. Do you still have the VCI left over from when the bike was tuned with the SERT? Bob most likely will tune the SERT ( a better tune can be had) than tune the PC5.

Bob is a very good tuner and is well known in tuning circles. In your area? I would trust no one else but Bob.

That would be a yes. I was hoping to be able to get some good breakin miles before going on the dyno, but at this point with 375 it may just be enough. I really dont want to wash out the cylinders. Thanks Wurk Truck

Old 06-22-2014, 08:19 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk

Wurk truk Icant thank you enough for your suggestion. It finally made me get off my **** and get my problem fixed. Took it to RC Cycles yesterday and he tuned it beyond my imagination. My issue was the hi flow injectors were the problem, he took out between 27-47% fuel across the board and came up with a best of 124HP/121TQ.
Those guys at RC are the sharpest people I have ever seen. I got to watch the dyno as well as the previous 2 dynos since they were running behind and all I can say is these guys are so into every aspect of issues in a motor it simply amazed me. They would listen to the other owners take their bikes on a r/t and agree to each other thats how its supposed to sound!
How did you back in Ohio know of these guys?
Thanks again