Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Urgent advice needed: bike won't start after draining tank and undoing bottom nut

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:51 PM
AdvGuy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent advice needed: bike won't start after draining tank and undoing bottom nut

Hi, I say urgent in the title because I need to start my bike tonight to get it on a train tomorrow morning. I didn't think installing Love Jugs would be a big job, nor would removing tank, but partway in I realized I shouldn't be doing this the day before I leave and put it back together again. I had removed seat and the tank bolts and siphoned out gas. Then I loosened nut on bottom of tank that fuel hose exits from thinking that would 'disconnect fuel line'. I was surpised no gas came out as siphoning never gets all of it but when I tipped tank up at front to get it turned backwards (was seeing if I could install Love Jugs without disconnecting line) gas did spill out. At that point I went on youtube to see there was more to this than on my carbed dirt bike.......and just re-tightened that nut on the bottom of the tank and bolted it all together again. I re-filled tank and after maybe 10 minutes I tried starting but it won't fire. I'm thinking it must be my undoing that nut and the fuel draining out but is the fuel pump not priming and is there a way to prime it? I cranked so long, off and on, until battery near died and now it's being charged. In the meantime I'm trying to find out what to do differently since simply cranking did nothing and my trip is 12 hours from being cancelled if I don't fix it to get it on the train. We have a gravel road so can't take it without risking dents, cracks and a crash you see. Please help!

Thanks,

Fred

Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM
AdvGuy
5th Gear

Guess it'd help if you knew the year/model of bike! 2008 Electra Glide Classic with 103 ci kit installed (w/ 255 cams) and touring mufflers. I never did get the Love Jugs installed as I chickened out, wisely I think, and will install them later on as I'm mostly highway driving and even they say no need on highway. The charger is on for the last 30 minutes but when I re-try I hope to have something else to do than simply crank it over again. Any idea why simply undoing that big chromed nut under the tank and lowering it out of the female threads but not actually disconnecting the hose hooked to it would cause it not to start on re-assembly? I'm really surprised this happened given I really didn't disconnect anything.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM
AdvGuy
5th Gear

Actually, Dave of LOVE JUGS knew what was wrong as he'd done the same thing himself so knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently, disconnecting the fuel line is as easy as pushing up on the round chromed collar that's just below the large chrome nut I loosened/tightened. Like an air hose fitting type of collar where you push up and then pull down to disconnect the line.

By not knowing that and simply frigging with that nut I twisted the hose or whatever inside the tank like a pretzel and either broke it (likely) or it's so frigged up that fuel won't flow through it to get to the injectors. Or something like that. So, assuming that is indeed the problem I'm going to re-siphon, QUICK DISCONNECT the line using the collar (wish I'd had a service manual or maybe if in the owner's manual which it likely isn't then I wish I looked in there but I was sure it wouldn't be as that's not something usually in the owner's manual) which is maddeningly simple and wish I'd known that in the first place. THEN I remove that nut and look inside to see what I did and see if it's ruined and needs replacement. He said it's not expensive, rather it's very cheap, but is a pain and again means no trip for Harley this year but am on an adventure tourer for a continent crossing trip. On the bright side, this backs up my lame justification for having a KTM 990 Adventure AND a Harley anyway, I did tell my wife it's good to have a backup bike. I also said it makes sense to have two bikes because then each bike lasts twice as long and needs half as many repairs.

This is my second contact with LOVE JUGS and these guys are just phenomenal for customer service. I mean I was desperate so asked them even though this was not an issue with their product, and he answered near immediately. He gave me his number and when I called he spoke with me for 10 minutes or more to help. That alone makes me assume that the LOVE JUGS will be awesome or at least will have top notch support. Impressive to say the least.

Last edited by AdvGuy; 06-29-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's Love Jugs?

Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
What's Love Jugs?
"Love Jugs" is pair of cooling fans that you install where the horn is mounted on most Harleys, to add cooling capability for when the bike is in stop and go traffic or at prolonged idle.

The name stems from the fact that the 2 fans, uh, resemble a lady's "jugs".

Jim G

Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM
jmr1971
Tourer

Ah, ok.....funny, now I see the ad on this site over on the r/h side of the screen.

Not something I need but I don't spend much time in stop & go traffic....

Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 PM
AdvGuy
5th Gear

I had bought them assuming (again....like I assumed you just undo the big nut under the tank as a way to disconnect the fuel when there was actually a quick-disconnect right below said nut) they'd cool the engine further even while on the highway. Like the difference between a free air and fan cooled 2 stroke snowmobile engines. My first engine detonated itself to death when stock, so I added an oil cooler, will run synth oil, added a fuel controller to richen it up, and as a final insurance I added LOVE JUGS to blow even more air over the motor than already is at highway speeds. Perhaps it won't help on the highway, much if at all, but if it helps a bit then great but at least in traffic I won't have to keep shutting it off (plus it won't be so hot on the legs if it's 100 deg cooler in those conditions).

Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 PM
jmr1971
Tourer

Wow, 100 degrees cooler? Is that what you're expecting? That just doesn't seem possible let alone reasonable, but admittedly I don't know much about this product. Can't see it doing anything at all on the highway, and if you already have an oil cooler and a good tune then this seems like a waste to me. I don't even have a cooler on my heritage and it doesn't get that hot.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 PM
AdvGuy
5th Gear

I thought I read that (100 deg) but that is almost surely at idle in traffic. I wouldn't say I have a 'good tune', just a FuelPack the dealer didn't even connect (long story). It has run perfect since the 103 Stage 2 or whatever cam/103/mufflers/intake/HDremap so I didn't bother. Well, other than the second crank breaking in half but the shop paid for that as they said it was defective and not from running hot. But I have been thinking of plugging it in since I paid for it (again, long story why they disconnected it). Like I said previously I'm not sure why LOVE JUGS wouldn't make a difference on the highway, since fan cooled snowmobile engines ran cooler than free air in spring weather i.e. like highway riding but on snowmobile trails, and this is obviously like a fan cooled engine with no shrouds. All I know is I hear repeatedly how hot modern EFI Harley's run, and I put $6000 into the engine and improvements not including the LOVE JUGS after two engines exploded completely so I'm not taking any chances. Until that first engine blew I talked just like you.......that my bike's running perfect. Anyway, anything that'll cool it down a bit more is worthwhile though I don't expect too much on the highway per their own statements. That was just wishful thinking on my part and I'm just happy it'll be cooler at low speeds. They look cool too if you get the 'bullets' design!

Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 AM
jmr1971
Tourer

Steve, thanks for the info. It's interesting. Right now with my riding style and where I normally ride, my oil temp is usually between 225-260 wheen I'm done riding. I know that's different from engine head temp, but I don't have capability to monitor that while I'm out riding. I'll take a gander at the site just to educate myself, but I'm not sure this product is something I need unless my riding consitions change. But again, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Urgent advice needed: bike won't start after draining tank and undoing bottom nut