Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   2011 heritage b2272 code (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/997875-2011-heritage-b2272-code.html)

fire127 09-08-2014 12:31 PM

2011 heritage b2272 code

Hi my 2011 heritage softtail has a b2272 code that comes up on it, because anyone know what this code is? And how to fix it?

Buckinfitch 09-08-2014 01:28 PM

DTC code 2272= BCM or Speedometer voltage high

DTC B2272
The BCM monitors [259] terminal 1 and the speedometer
monitors terminal 5 for battery power.
• DTC B2272 (BCM) is displayed when battery voltage is
greater than 16.1V for longer than 5 seconds.
• DTC B2272 (Speedometer) is displayed when battery
voltage is greater than 16.0V for longer than 5 seconds

DTC B2272
Table 3-32. DTC B2272 Diagnostic Faults
POSSIBLE CAUSES
Charging system malfunction
1. Charging System Test
1. Perform charging system tests. See 3.6 CHARGING
SYSTEM.
2. Is charging system good?
a. Yes. Go to Test 2.
b. No. Repair charging system.
2. Repair Validation Test
1. Clear DTCs.
2. Start vehicle.
3. Run at 3000 rpm for 5 seconds.
4. Does DTC reset?
a. Yes. DTC set by speedometer. Replace speedometer.
b. Yes. DTC set by BCM. Replace

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...8#post13167380

nhrider1 09-08-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by fire127 (Post 13195003)
Hi my 2011 heritage softtail has a b2272 code that comes up on it, because anyone know what this code is? And how to fix it?

Sounds like a bad voltage regulator. Verify by reading the voltage across the battery at idle and ~2,000 rpms. Should be >13.0 and <15.5V.

Sounds like yours is probably >15.5V (caution it may be intermittent).

Check the Stator per the stickys in the Electrical/Lighting/Alarm section too.

Banglaore 10-20-2015 01:09 PM

b2272 error code

Hi All,

I have a 2011 Heritage and I have the same code b2272. So I have been trying to diagnose this error for a few weeks now. When driving down the road (noticed it first at night) the Headlight goes bright and the speedometer light goes out. Comes back after about 30 secs or so. I have also noticed lately that the dash light will go out for a while longer and the RPM's go up. I have no lose of power and seems to me that the bike is running normal. I carried the bike into HD and they said it was because my grounds where loose. So they tightened them and I didn't see the problem for a couple of days. Then it came back. Pulled the bike apart this weekend and was trying to find any wires that seemed frayed or broken and made sure all connectors where tight and clean. Also made sure the grounds where tight as well. I know the reason the error code is being thrown just don't know what is causing it. I have checked the charging system and it is charging correctly. All my lights are working and everything seems to be fine. One thing I have noticed the past couple of days while riding is that once I reach 3000 rpm's that is when I seem to get the time it happens and then it happens about every 5 - 10 miles after that at any speed then once I exit the freeway and ride around town it no longer happens... I have searched everywhere I can and still no real answers as to why this is happening. If anyone can provide some more info that would be great.

kch112654 10-10-2019 02:52 PM

B2272 code

Originally Posted by Banglaore (Post 14499381)
Hi All,

I have a 2011 Heritage and I have the same code b2272. So I have been trying to diagnose this error for a few weeks now. When driving down the road (noticed it first at night) the Headlight goes bright and the speedometer light goes out. Comes back after about 30 secs or so. I have also noticed lately that the dash light will go out for a while longer and the RPM's go up. I have no lose of power and seems to me that the bike is running normal. I carried the bike into HD and they said it was because my grounds where loose. So they tightened them and I didn't see the problem for a couple of days. Then it came back. Pulled the bike apart this weekend and was trying to find any wires that seemed frayed or broken and made sure all connectors where tight and clean. Also made sure the grounds where tight as well. I know the reason the error code is being thrown just don't know what is causing it. I have checked the charging system and it is charging correctly. All my lights are working and everything seems to be fine. One thing I have noticed the past couple of days while riding is that once I reach 3000 rpm's that is when I seem to get the time it happens and then it happens about every 5 - 10 miles after that at any speed then once I exit the freeway and ride around town it no longer happens... I have searched everywhere I can and still no real answers as to why this is happening. If anyone can provide some more info that would be great.

I had the same problem. Had to replace the BCM