Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'76 IronHead hard starting,'UpDate'

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Ironyman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '76 IronHead hard starting,'UpDate'

As I had just bought the bike home last Sunday afternoon and didn't have much time to spend on it before leaving out Monday morning all I done was try to kick it to start. With the help from this forum and a couple others from this site and some good YouTube videos I pretty much knew what needed checked. Stopped by a Dealership while out. Seems they don't carry points. So I had to order them. Will have them for next weekend.
Once I got home Friday I removed the Inspection Plate. Then I removed the Points Plate and checked the weights. They looked good so I cleaned them up and oiled them. Points are pitted. So I buffed them up with a nail file for the time being. Put the plate back in and adjusted the timing. Then adjusted the points. Checked the plugs. Next I adjusted the Push Rods.
Having done all that I started kicking it again. Still no better. So time to see if I'm getting voltage. Checked it at the points and hmmm, only 6 volts. So next I checked it at the battery. Only 9 volts. It being a new battery I didn't think it would be the problem. Put a battery charger on it on boost. Gave it a kick and it nearly threw me over the bike. Well getting some where now. Two more kicks and it was running and purring like a kitten.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me.

Last edited by Ironyman; 10-04-2014 at 07:12 PM.