Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

77 ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
johnnymo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 ironhead

Just picked up a 77 ironhead XLCH kicker only. Its temper-mental to start, floods easily and smokes when cold. If I sit and idle she seems to smoke out the valve covers. I dont know how long its been like this. It was thrown together by a shadetree mechanic and I got it running and rideable. how long do you think I can keep riding it before I really need to tear it down and tighten her up? Will the leaky valves cause major problems? Can I get away with plugs, wires, timing, etc?
Thanks!

Last edited by johnnymo; 03-19-2015 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I guess you mean XLCH

Smokes when cold would typically be oil getting into the combustion chamber while the bike sits overnight, represents worn rather than broken parts. Not an immediate concern.

Smoke from rocker covers could be just oil/greasy mess on the outside smoking from the heat. Otherwise it may be leaking from the exhaust connection at the heads? If this is the case i'll have some suggestions to fix it. Best to check the source of the smoke carefully. If i am running the engine briefly in the shop i turn off the lights and use a flashlite; outside i am careful about wind direction and keep out of the bright sun.

I would certainly change all of the fluids - brake fluid, fork oil, engine oil and primary oil. Carefully clean, inspect, fix stuff up as you go along. Every part of the bike will need the clean-inspect-refurbish treatment.

Get the bike up to full operating temperature by riding not in city traffic. Warming it up in the shop does not count for this - these engines do not react well to long periods of idling, running not in the wind. Then do a compression test and report the results back here.

If you need to buy a compression tester try Princess Auto, Harbor Freight, any auto supply, etc. It is not an expensive tool [$30 ?]

You could do a leak down test also but needs a small air compressor and a leak down tester - similar to the compression tester, a bit more costly [$60 ?]. If you are goin to buy an air compressor look for 5 cfm @ 90 psi so that you can run air tools with it. Less than 5 is not good enough.

The compression test will give you the data you need to decide whether to do a top end job or not. A subsequent leak down test will tell you what to look for when you dismantle the top end.

Yes a man needs tools, tools, and more tools for his IronHead! One of the benefits of ownership. Make sure everyone has your birthday and Christmas lists

Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 AM
johnnymo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mick. Thanks for finding the typo. I have NOOO idea what I was thinking!

I have tools, compressor, yada yada. I grew up in a mechanic family and evern wrenched for a few years myself.

I did compression test a couple months ago when the bike belonged to my neighbor. I dont remember the numbers exactly but I remember them being over 100 and even between the cylinders. I did not do a leak down.

The exhaust gasket just might be the issue as I really looked it over last night.

I have gone over the bike pretty good over the past few months. Its been in my garage since the neighbor bought it in August. He doesnt ride and has a really jacked up back so I really dont know why he bought it. His loss, my gain. Anyway, I have put a new front caliper, line, hose, master cylinder, clutch and cable. I have ridden about 10 miles since the new clutch just looking for problems. Many loose nuts and bolts. Nothing has fallen completely off yet ;-).
I really enjoy riding it but it needs new neck bearings....pretty choppy right now. Any idea if those are ball bearings or timken style?

Thanks for the inputs.....and I edited the F to X

Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

Loose bolts?? on an Ironhead???
I blue Lock-Tite just about every nut/bolt/screw on my old girl. Don't use the red unless you want it permanent, or like playing with a torch.
No "exhaust gasket" on an Ironhead.

Need pics of the old girl.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:12 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Minimum compression is supposed to be 120 in each cylinder. Guys have said over the years that this is in the factory service manual but i have never seen it there myself. In any case if the compression is anywhere above 100 and even, i would just ride it. Top end jobs, while easy enough, are IMO best saved for winter.

If the compression is satisfactory i would skip the leakdown test - unless i already had the equipment on hand in which case i might do it just for interest. It is really intended to tell you what to look for when you are about to take down the top end.

Mine has been 150/150 for about 45,000 miles, 3 or 4 years. Feels like it will go forever.

Essential Factory manuals ...
99484-78 Service Manual
99451-78B Parts Catalog

Search eBay & Google for the part numbers, or buy locally from an indie shop or HD shop.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

77 had loose ***** running in races for the steering head. Try adjusting the big nut on the top triple tree. It might take up the slop. if not it may need new races and *****.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change over to timken and get away from the ball if it hasn't already been done.