Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Push Rod removal 1985 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM
docsouce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Rod removal 1985 XLS

Looks like I'm going to have to change out the push rod guide O-ring on the front intake push rod guide. I see now that there is a double sided bolt that was changed to a regular one. Apparently my removing the bolt to get the carb support off disturbed the O-ring and is weeping oil. Looking at the shop repair manual it says I have to remove the rocker cover to get the push rod and tube out. I haven't messed with this before and I'm wondering if I back the push rod adjustment all the way off, will I be able to swing the rod/tube out then remove the guide? I really don't want to pull the rocked cover but if I have to I will.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dave

Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

this is how you do that - pull the plugs = put the bike in 4 th gear = un do both intake push rod tubes - rotate the motor forwards till the one that was not leaking is at full lift < the push rod - then undo the push rod so it has as much slak as possable remove the pushrod and replace the seals

the first thing i would try to do is un do the leaking ones clip for the chrome push rod tube, pick the O rimg up and re install it making sure it is not broken or cracked, and turning the chrome tube re seat the works replace the clip and see if it stops - i would do that first

Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

What manual do you have that says you have to remove the rocker cover? That is wrong, wrong wrong!

To be clear, exactly which o-ring are you talking about? Is it the one at the base of the pushrod cover? Or the one that is in the groove of the tappet [lifter]? Always best to post a pic.

You need these two factory manuals ...

99451-85A Parts Catalog - to get the correct procedures
99484-85 Service manual - to get the correct part names

These are widely available, local HD dealership, indie motorcycle shop, J&P Cycles, eBay, etc. [bring the part numbers with you, especially to an HD dealership; search eBay, Google etc using the part numbers.]

Old 04-05-2015, 07:08 AM
docsouce
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I have the right books. I put in a long day and just misunderstood the thing. Anyway, I cured the problem. I found the front head gasket was leaking a little bit of oil so I changed the head gasket yesterday. Interesting job. I'm going to get to the lifter O-ring today. The motor is leaking oil from under the tappet guide on the front intake.

Dave

Old 04-05-2015, 07:50 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by docsouce
Thanks guys. I have the right books. I put in a long day and just misunderstood the thing. Anyway, I cured the problem. I found the front head gasket was leaking a little bit of oil so I changed the head gasket yesterday. Interesting job. I'm going to get to the lifter O-ring today. The motor is leaking oil from under the tappet guide on the front intake.

Dave
the lifter guide in the block has a thin o ring and you will need a special tool to remove the lifter guide or you could brake off the bolt hole piece on it

Old 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

The newer IronHeads were changed so that you do not need the special tool. I do not recall at what year the change came but it was 1980 or before.

Some cylinders do not have the cut-out needed to pop the lifter block up. If you run into this you either have to remove the cylinder or get out the Dremmel. Most guys, except the restorationists, get out the Dremmel.

Do it carefully, move it back and forth until it is loose, then carefully pop it up with a flat blade screwdriver.

You might have a hard time finding that skinny o-ring other than in a gasket kit ??

Last edited by IronMick; 04-05-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
docsouce
Cruiser

Moved the guide side to side with a little upward pressure. It was tight but it slid out. I bought a top end gasket kit at my neighborhood H/D dealer so now I have a bunch of gaskets on hand. I should have it running again today.

Oh. Should I put washers between that front frame mount and the studs on the valve cover assembly? It has the special self locking 5/16 nuts but I wonder if I should put a washer under this nut or tighten then down on to the mount with no washer. There were no washers on them when I took it apart.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

mount it to the rocker box first ,then add whatever is necessary so not to force the bracket into place at the frame