Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Tech Tornado Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM
hydemv
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Tornado Starter Question

I have a 1979 ironhead.

I have rebuilt the motor and bored it out 50 over.
I think the compression is somewhere around 10:1.

The stock starter just barely turns the motor over, but the motor will start.
The starter is draining the battery because of the draw.

I am considering a Tech 1.4 Kw Tornado starter.

i have looked at other posts here, and done some research on the internet on starters in general.

Does anyone know how much torque might be generated at the gear that drives the ring gear on the clutch?

What is the general census on Tech Tornado starters?
Do you think this will turn over my motor much better, or is it a waste of money?

Old 06-09-2015, 08:27 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like a worn out battery. Bring it up to full charge and try again. Best to use a charger of no more than 2 amps; best is one with the green light saying it is at full charge; it will most likely take more than just overnight.

It is unlikely that the starter motor is the problem. However, it would be useful to un-install it from the bike, dismantle, clean, inspect, re-install. Measure the brushes. You will notice a significant improvement. It is a bit tedious, you really have to watch the orientation of the brushes and the wires carefully, and get them back together exactly! how they were. Do a sketch as i did for this thread ...

Ironhead Refurbish Starter Motor
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1718915

The starter solenoid gets filthy inside, and like the starter motor, this negatively affects its ability to operate efficiently. Best to give it the same treatment. Again, it is a bit tedious and you have to watch parts and how they assemble carefully. Do this test both before and after ...

Ironhead How to Bench Test a Solenoid, pic & vid
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1525907

If you do not yet own a Factory Service Manual and a Factory Parts catalog buy them immediately!!! These are your most important shop tools.

Service 99848-85
Parts 99451-85A

Buy from a local indie motoprcycle shop or HD dealership. Or search Google and eBay for the part numbers. Never! go into any shop or eBay seller without having the parts catalog in hand.

To answer your last question, buying parts is invariably a waste of money until you know with certainty what is the actual problem

Last edited by IronMick; 06-09-2015 at 08:30 PM.