Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Starting 1968 build - advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:44 PM
davetech
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting 1968 build - advice welcome

Hello all, my first post here. I recently got a hold of a Ironhead frame that has E8 stamped by the seat mount so I think its a May of 1968 (or is it a '58? How can I tell?) Its not a hardtail so I have swingarm. I have a complete front end, its dual disk brakes and the upper triple tree is has 45740-62A on it and the lower has 45707-72 on it. So a 70's front end? I have the stock mag on the front but no rear wheel. Just ordered neck bearing kit today (timken converstion kit) and a solo seat and necessary mounting hardware. Working on locating/buying rear rim and shocks currently. I have fenders already that I might use, going to pick up new bars and another gas tank for it tomorrow. I have two leads on a motor right now so that will be down the road. I am going for old school black and tan features. Eventually powdercoat most everything black. Most likely lowered in the rear end too. Im not sure what else I should work on before I get the motor. Maybe controls? Anyway, since this is my first build I am looking for advice. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

In my opinion, lowering the rear end is in the same category as a fat rear tire, a hard tail, and really tall handlebars - fads that are completely worn out by now. In particular they do nothing for the handling except make it worse.

Otherwise sounds like a really good project, a lot of fun searching for parts, finding them, etc. All the best to you on this.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM
davetech
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks IronMick, I appreciate that feedback. I'm not going with that fat tire thing, if I want a Fat Tire I will go to the bar and drink one (Colorado beer humor), the bars I am getting are not the tall ones, just right I think..... but the lowering is actually more of a physical requirement for me. I have severe hip problems and have had multiple surgeries to try and correct them. I find that lowering my bike helps me to get on/off. I lowered my '03 Deuce and I am pretty happy with it. I actually used to ride around with my crutches strapped to the bars. I got pics......

Old 08-30-2017, 05:12 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by davetech
... I find that lowering my bike helps me to get on/off. I lowered my '03 Deuce and I am pretty happy with it. I actually used to ride around with my crutches strapped to the bars. I got pics......
Classic IronHeader. I love it! The pics would be cool+.