Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Valve question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:15 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve question

I'm considering oversized valves on my build. I was wondering how to choose valve guides, I assume larger valves need larger guides. I was also wondering about the seals.

THe valves I'm considering are 2.00 head diameter for the intake and
1.63 for the exhaust.

Oh, and springs I assume i'll need higher lift for the valves.

Last edited by EvilWayz; 09-11-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I am not expert on internal engine characteristics, but I have heard many times from experts on these forums that IronHead engine valves are large to start with and that there is no gain from oversize valves on a relatively stock engine.

IronHead engines have no valve seals fromm the factory. It is a bad idea to install them on the exhaust sides as that area needs some oil for cooling. They are not needed on the intakes but do not do any harm there.

My own experience is that when floating/umbrella valve seals were installed in mine by the machine shop [against my wishes] the exhaust valve[s] would stick when riding hiway at a steady 70+ MPH for a few miles. Heck of a racket with the pushrod[s] bouncing up and down in there. I would pull off to the side of the road, let it cool down for a few minutes, then all was OK again. Most disconcerting when my IronHead buddy wanted to do 3rd gear roll-ons

I am not familiar with the tech details of valve springs either but I would buy high end brand name springs like Manly or whatever. Might need to consider lift of springs if installing special purpose cams.

The following users liked this post:
EvilWayz (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:24 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Originally Posted by IronMick
I am not expert on internal engine characteristics, but I have heard many times from experts on these forums that IronHead engine valves are large to start with and that there is no gain from oversize valves on a relatively stock engine.

IronHead engines have no valve seals fromm the factory. It is a bad idea to install them on the exhaust sides as that area needs some oil for cooling. They are not needed on the intakes but do not do any harm there.

My own experience is that when floating/umbrella valve seals were installed in mine by the machine shop [against my wishes] the exhaust valve[s] would stick when riding hiway at a steady 70+ MPH for a few miles. Heck of a racket with the pushrod[s] bouncing up and down in there. I would pull off to the side of the road, let it cool down for a few minutes, then all was OK again. Most disconcerting when my IronHead buddy wanted to do 3rd gear roll-ons

I am not familiar with the tech details of valve springs either but I would buy high end brand name springs like Manly or whatever. Might need to consider lift of springs if installing special purpose cams.
Stuff like this is why I come here first. Thanks man.

THe engine will not be stock, it's going to be stroked out to 74 inches. Not sure if that makes a difference but Im inclined to stick with stock as stroker engines have shorter lives than stock.

Last edited by EvilWayz; 09-12-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-17-2017, 08:39 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Have Manley Bronze 99110 and 99100 intake and exaust Std O.D.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Guy I got the heads from gave me Rowe "Special black" valves, std OD exhaust and intake. They any good?

Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have read that there are advantages and disadvantages to guides of different materials. I do not recall the details but that it is important to be aware of them when choosing. Bronze is a softer metal than other choices so I suppose they would wear faster.

Rowe is a high end product so I suppose that the black valves are especially good.

But I am talking from some reading and no direct experience on these matters. The best info would be from the guys at the other IronHead forum...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

I have kibblewhite cast iron guides. I thunk i might take everything i got down to the shop and see what they have to say in addition to what xlforum has to say.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Oh and it has special cams, Sifton Titan (minus/minus)

Old 09-19-2017, 06:13 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

There are a couple guys on the other forum that have experience and knowledge with those cams.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Originally Posted by IronMick
There are a couple guys on the other forum that have experience and knowledge with those cams.

You weren't kiddin, those boys have forgot more about bikes than I will ever know prolly.

Quick Reply: Valve question