Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

iron head primary cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:36 PM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron head primary cover gasket

developd a small leak what involved in replacing the gasket

JR

Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
pyro
Tourer
Default RE: iron head primary cover gasket

This is from memory and it may differ a bit based on your year, (which is a mystery at the moment),mine is a '77, but...drain oil, take off shifter lever andfoot peg, loosen primary chain from under side of cover, inspection cover, clutch adjustment cover, 10 bolts and pull off. Keep in mind that there are at least 2 line up pins and the primary chain adjustor is spring loaded so there will be tension and need to be pulled off evenly, rocking from front to back. I use a rubber mallet to break the seal, change gasket, and reverse.

If you have any mechanical know-how at all, this won't be a problem, however, the one real bitch will be holding the clutch release mechanisim in place as you put the cover back on. Also pay attention to the primary chain spring. It could catch and rub the gasket and damage it.

When it is in the exact right position, it will slide in like... but finding the sweet spot may take a few tries with lots of cursing.

Chime in guys if I've missed anything. Like I said, this is from memory. I don't have my manual handy at the moment, which, by the way, you should get for your bike if you don't allready have one.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rich

Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 PM
jim6tseven
Intermediate

Yeah a year would really help. On my 67 (right side shift, right side clutch cable) there are no mechanicals involved at all, its a piece of cake. Drain fluid, remove peg, remove brake pedal, remove bolts... One whack with a rubber mallet and shes off. Clean surface replace gasket and shes good to go. Oh... check tension on the chain while your in there...I always spend the 5 bucks to replace the tensioner "puck" while I'm in there...
Jim

Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little dab of gasket sealer will help hold the gasket in place while you find that sweet spot. It also helps insure a good seal.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you have the cover off it is a good time to check the primary chain tension and replace the clutch cable if it needs it. I always use a little gaskasintch to hold the gasket in place and give it a good seal.