Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

where do I find forward controls for my 1976 Harley Davidson Sportster slectric start

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Stainedhanes
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do I find forward controls for my 1976 Harley Davidson Sportster slectric start

Can you please tell me where I can purchase a decent set of forward controls for my 1976 Sportster. It seems nobody is interested in making parts for the older bikes anymore, I'm getting fustrated. Thanks, TC

Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Call Sportyparts.com they have forward controls listed that can be modified to fit your 76. https://sportyparts.com/collections/...rd-control-kit

The following users liked this post:
Stainedhanes (09-06-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:25 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

You can check to see if these work with electric start bikes

http://foghollow.com/E-Shop/index.ph...ducts_id=10676

Old 09-04-2018, 06:38 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

There are very good kits available for IronHeads 1957 up to 1974, and for 1977 & 1978; the Kraft Tech brand and copies of it are the best. Scroll down to the very end here...
http://www.krafttechinc.com/PDF%20fi...rdControls.pdf
It says they fit 1976 and 1979 but that requires modifications.

There is nothing available, and never has been, for any other years other than the hated Daniel Boon brand and copies of them. For these years you have to look at available kits and modify to suit your bike.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:50 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

they actually look terrible once installed - sell that one a buy another year bike that controls look good is what we told people

they look to us so bad we stopped installing them all together unless a bike has them when it comes in for something

Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Here is an idea...

Buy the Kraft Tech [or a copy] for 1977&78. The shifter [left] side will fit and work. Install the brake [right] side. The parts all fit ok but you have to connect the newly positioned brake pedal to the original brake pedal shaft. Should not be that difficult.

I think I have seen Kraft Tech copies on J&P Cycles. They are the same except that the J&Ps have pedals, the Kraft Tech you provide your own pedals.

Look over any pictures carefully. Look over your bike. See what you think before putting out any ca$h

Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Stainedhanes
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your help Iron Mike, johnjzjz, and mmesa005. I had a electrician friend rewire the bike. I told him NOT to try hiding the wires under any pinch points because the bike vibrates and will cause a short. Not long after he worked on it , I'm riding down the road and the bike dies. I take a close exit and coast to the breakdown lane. I fumed as I looked it over. Sure enough he tried hiding the wiring between the frame and the rear fender. I was convinced that I was in neutral and pulled one wire at a time and hit the starter, each time nothing happened. after five tries I pulled the last wire out of the block and hit the starter. The bike roared to life, unfortunately it was in gear and jumped up off the kickstand and took off down the exit ramp without me. I panicked as I ran after it, thinking that it may torpedo into traffic at the bottom of the ramp. Thankfully it veered off onto the shoulder, died and fell over. There wasn't too much damage, a broken mirror and the shifting controls, but no dents or scratches otherwise. It could have been a lot worse. I'm wiring it myself this time.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:19 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

back up and take a couple deep breathes before you start - its got to be a fun thing while and after doing it - your not the lone stranger in having this sort of thing happen - I have some used control stuff send me a picture of what you need would be glad to just put it in a box to help you out

Old 09-05-2018, 05:28 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The rear fender is a common pinch area for the wires running to the tail light. It is not uncommon to have them run correctly and still get a pinch when the fender is installed. The trick is to raise the fender strut on one side so the it is straight up [requires removing a few bolts etc], then install the fender and the wire harness. It has been a few years since I have done this so I do not recall the detail sequence, but raising one strut 90` is the key to saving the fender paint and the harness. Also buy some wire loom at a trailer shop ot auto supplies shop - run the wires thru the loom.

Another common "d@mn, I messed up" is picking your bike up after it has fallen over, and have it then fall on the other side

Old 09-05-2018, 01:58 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Another option is to keep your stock controls, install highway pegs. Ride with your feet on the highway pegs (same position as forward controls) and brake and shift with your heels. Actually pretty easy to do. Did that with XLs and FXs for years.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
Chris Restifo (03-19-2024), Stainedhanes (09-06-2018)

Quick Reply: where do I find forward controls for my 1976 Harley Davidson Sportster slectric start