Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Front wheel adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

The FSM for my Knuck is awesome, as is the one for the '98. It's the one the original owner gave me with the bike. Looks original so I'll check into one from HD to see any difference. Ordered Haynes and Clymer last night. Have the parts manual.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,418 Likes on 6,857 Posts

Axle pinch bolt/nut does not look correct for some reason. Thought it was an allen head that threaded into one side of the lower. May have stripped out and the previous owner did a jack leg kludge repair. My memory may not be correct though. Iron Mick can you check your parts listing for the lower fork? Pinch Bolt for the axle. Spacers may not be correct also.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Axle pinch bolt/nut does not look correct for some reason. Thought it was an allen head that threaded into one side of the lower. May have stripped out and the previous owner did a jack leg kludge repair. My memory may not be correct though. Iron Mick can you check your parts listing for the lower fork? Pinch Bolt for the axle. Spacers may not be correct also.
That's what it looks like to me too. One glance at the parts book will prove it. I'd chunk a heli coil in it.

carl

Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 PM
The Doctor71
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few things aren't in order, when I compare your photo to my '71 xlch....

1. axle appears to be installed backwards. On my '71 xlch, shouldered end = left side, threaded end = right side. The axle may be reversible, I dunno, never tried it. IMHO, the pinch bolt should pinch on the shouldered end of the axle. Anyway, yours is reversed when compared to mine. I'd suggest this be corrected.
  2. your threaded nut is not the standard part...... should be something like 1 1/2" deep, as opposed to your thin nut. This may or may not cause you some grief once the axle is re-oriented.
  3. your pinch bolt might be OEM (not sure) & is installed in the left fork. Orientation is backwards, though. Factory installation = bolt head (9/16" head) should be oriented towards the front, nut (5/8" head) oriented towards the rear. I'll post some pics momentarily. See post # 16 below.

It is possible to crank things down on my '71 so the left side hub scrapes. This isn't scientific but what I do, to avoid the scraping:

• install axle in correct orientation. Threaded end fed in to left side first.
  • do not install pinch bolt, yet
  • install lock washer & slowly tighten the nut. This will draw the left side shoulder of the axle against the left side fork. Draw this shoulder up tight to the fork but don't over tighten.
  • check for scraping & side to side free play. aka spin / shake the wheel
  • continue to slowly tighten the nut until there's no or very minimal side to side free play AND no scraping of hub.
  • if hub starts to scrape, you've gone too far & the fork legs are being flexed too much.
  • back off the nut & repeat the process. You should find a happy medium where the nut is snug & the hub isn't scraping.
  • install & tighten the pinch bolt

Last edited by The Doctor71; 06-18-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added some more clarifications
Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,418 Likes on 6,857 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Looked at an online parts manual, the pinch bolt/nut is correct; however, it looks like it is a larger nut than what the parts manual shows. May want to get a nut with a smaller outside diameter. There may be spacing issues also. Good Luck.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 PM
The Doctor71
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The comments on the pinch bolt got me thinking some more. Figured some pics would help to sort this out. Anyway, here's a few pics of how this works on my '71 xlch. '70 xlh should be the same.

Left side pic (front of bike is to the left)

Right side pic (front of bike is to the right)

Left side pic with pinch bolt removed (taken from behind, looking forward). Notice the concave on the fork (at the pinch hole) to be matched by nut.

And the 3/8" pinch bolt.... 9/16" bolt head, with 5/8" nut. Notice the convex (aka opposite of concave) on the nut to match the fork in the earlier pic.

The following users liked this post:
CoolBreeze3646 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 AM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Heres the factory original setup. When installing the axel you tighten the nut first, THEN tighten the pinch bolt
1st pic, right side, 2nd pic left side