Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Replacing Oil Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Patricks BBQ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Oil Lines

Howdy all,

I need to replace the oil return line on my oil tank and I cant tell where it goes.

The oil line that I need to replace is coming from the top of my oil tank on the Right side as Im sitting on it. It goes o the bottom of the primary but I cant tell where it ends. Id have to take off the cam cover and I honestly dont want to do that cuz im sure that I screw somethin up if I did.

My questions are this:

Where does it go?
Am I correct in assuming that this is a return line?
AmI being too much of a wuss by not wanting to take of the cam cover?
If I do take it off will I be able to get to the end of the hose or is that just a waste of time?

Also, im considering replacng it with a metal braided line in leu of a rubber hose.

Is this over kill?
Will the be more complicated than just using a ruber hose?
Is it woth it?

It seems that while I was riding the bike the other day something from the road came up an knicked the hose, that is why I'm relpacing it.

Thanks again guys and have a great week!

Patrick

Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Oil Lines

Before I can help you there are a couple of questions.
What year and model do you have?
"It goes o the bottom of the primary but I cant tell where it ends"
Do you have a side mount or center mount oil tank?
The primary is on the left side of the machine. There is no oil line that goes to the primary.
There are 3 connections on your oil tank.

Oil feed----
This comes off the bottom of the tank and runs to the inlet connection on the oil pump, located on the pump's back end. You can easily view the pump connection and this bottom oil tank connection.

Oil return---
This connection on the engine is located just behind the rear cylinder base and on the righthand side of the engine. It is on top of the case. This oil return line is connected to: (A) The top of the oil tank close to the filler oap on a side mount oil tank. Or...(B) This line is connected on the bottom...far left side on a center mount tank.

Vent Line---
This line is connected to the engine case behind the sprocket cover on the right side of the engine, about midway up from the oil pump. The connection is a 90 degree brass elbow of 1/4 inch size at the engine. You cannot see this connection without removing the cover.
The other end of the vent hose is connected to: (A) The upper wall of the oil tank on a side mount tank, Or...(B) The middle bottom connection on the bottom of the oil tank on a center mount tank.
If the vent line is the one you are talking about (and I think it is) you will have to remove the sprocket cover to get at the connection and replace the hose.......pg

Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Patricks BBQ
Intermediate

77 Ironhead is the year and model

The Hose that I'm talking about is comuing from the top right side of the oil tank (As I sit on the bike)

It goes deep under the sprocket cover. If I have to take it off and it looks like I will, do I need a new gasket when I put it back on?

What should I do while I have the cover off?

What are your thoughts on the steel braided lines?

Thanks again Mr. PinionGear

Patrick

Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Let the record show that I know a little bit about 1974 and earlier models, so this may not be exactly correct for your 1977.
"It goes deep under the sprocket cover. If I have to take it off and it looks like I will, do I need a new gasket when I put it back on?"
I have included an old photo of my 1971 engine to show you what I am talking about. The arrows (I made them yellow, but this is a B&W photo) point to the area behind the cover where you will find the vent connection.

The cover uses no gasket. Do not remove the timing cover! That is the big cover in front of the sprocket cover.
Your 1977 is going to look a bit different than mine, main difference being yours is a leftside shift and mine is a rightside shift. You do not have to do anything else while the cover is off.

"What are your thoughts on the steel braided lines?" They are decorative.
Hope this helps you some.........pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/4BD57E63011F44E69420A4EF9330A900.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Patricks BBQ
Intermediate

I have replaced the line and BAM!!! No Leaks!!!! WOW. This is a 77 Ironhead and there are no oil leaks anywhere... This is incredible!!!

The bike runs like a champ, I'm hooked.

All I need to do now is resolve the problem with my generator not charging the battery and tighten my chain and I'm 100% (give or take)

Thanks again PG. Once again you are Da Man...

On a lighter note, My girfriend is actually jealous that I'm spending too much time on the bike. I actually have had less sex since I got the bike and she blames the bike for it... There may be some truth there... HA!!!

Have a good one guys and gals...