Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ironhead aftermarket parts?

A lot of the parts like foot peg rubbers, fork seal covers, etc. that are available for the old ironheads are CHEAP JUNK.
HD doesn't make these parts any more, and the only parts I seem to be able to find are the cheap junk from China. Even a lot of the J&P stuff is like this. These parts don't last any time at all.

Anybody have a source of DECENT QUALITY parts like these? I know they would cost more, but I just want some parts that will last.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ironhead aftermarket parts?

Have you looked in the Jammers catalogue.........Ed "Mr. Lucky", does a pretty decent job with the catoalog

Old 08-12-2007, 03:25 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

V Twin

Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
mojo2go
Tourer

Hey there, I know where you're coming from. I work as an auto tech in a car dealership and almost all of the parts like brake rotors, motor mounts, etc. are made in China or Taiwan. It seems like almost all of the big bike parts companies get their inventory from these countries, buy it for nothing, and then jack up the prices.
I always shop on e-bay for what I can find in OEM parts. The stuff is out there but you gotta dig for it.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironxl

A lot of the parts like foot peg rubbers, fork seal covers, etc. that are available for the old ironheads are CHEAP JUNK.
Yep you are right, many parts are JUNK, they don't fit without some "adjutment", bad material .... but even newer sportster OEM parts are made in far-east. Difference ( what I have noticed ) is that OEM parts are made from better materials.
Foot peg rubbers fits from newer sportser, and "everybody" changes their footbegs to billet ones..so they are sold cheap in swapmeets, fleamarkets

Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 AM
heavy.clutch
Advanced

Here in NZ you willfindthe parts but they are all mostly from taiwan.Bought a generatorfrom custom chrome which i thought it was usa made but when it arrivedit said made in taiwan.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, I had a recent experience with imported parts. I ordered disc brake pads from J&P, and paid a little more for the ones advertised as "Made in USA". When I opened the box, they had a "Made in China" sticker on them, but since I already has the brake apart, I thought I'd just go ahead and install them.

They didn't fit........

The metal plate the friction material was bonded to was just slightly too large to fit into the caliper. Returned for refund, with no refund for shipping.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM
nucklehead13
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No wonder them rocker box cover gaskets I got started leaking. It also explains why none of them after market oil line nuts and seals wouldn't stop leaking. I had to find stock used ones to finally fix that. I really hope the electronic ignition I got holds up or Ill have to go back to points. Good thing I never throw old parts away.

Last edited by nucklehead13; 02-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:00 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

most parts from sporty specialtes are oem

Old 02-20-2017, 04:37 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

The H-D parts book is your friend. Look up the part(s) you want and visit your friendly neighborhood Harley dealer. Some of the old stuff is still available.

Quick Reply: Ironhead aftermarket parts?