Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Generator Not Charging Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Patricks BBQ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generator Not Charging Battery

Howdy all,

Well, I got my bike running and I've driven it about 7 or 8 times and it's been great! Now I have 2 issues.

1. Oil Leak - I've already figured this one out soI wont waste your time asking...
2. Generator not charging the battery - Here is where I need help

Here are the stats - 77 Ironhead, no motor work, some after market pheriphials, rigged frame "Bobber" style.

There is an aftermarket regulator with a Green and aRed LED. The Red LED is lit but the Green is not. To be clear it only comes on when the motor is running and Im driving down the road or if im reving the engine. Regardlss, I have just replaced the battery and I really dont wantto kill it. I have traced out the wiring and it looks right but I cant tell for sure. I really dont want to have to crack the case on this thing to get it fixed...

As always any advice or help would be MUCH appreciated...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
jdusty21
Advanced
Default RE: Generator Not Charging Battery

I had the same problem with my 79... looked every where for a broken wire, a short, changed the regulator, my guru finally found the short under my headlight... the turn signals had shorted. Dont know if this is your problem but I wanted to say that there are many many things that can be wrong so start tracing from the generator back. Do you have a meter? I am sure somebody will tell you the best way to trace the system, I am so lucky to have a guru for a buddy. Thanks Dusty

Old 08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Patricks BBQ
Intermediate

I did a search on the other topics for "Gernrator" and found a good deal of info. I dont have a meter so I'll have to get one. I dont have any blinkers so Im sure that this is not the issue. I willwork on it over the weekend to see if I can locate a short or anything. I will say that I didnt think about "Polarizing" the Generator. I'll try to follow the instructions that I found in my search and that may resolve it. Other than that I'll probably be looking at replacing the Generator. Thanks for the reply man... Where are you located?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
jdusty21
Advanced

Well, I now live in the beautiful state of Alabama, near Talladega race track, but I moved, traveled, and visited almost all 50 states. Spent most of my life in Pompano Bch Fl. Yeah since you had many problems b4 with starting and you did replace the battery I would sure enuff polarize the system. That would be my first thought Dusty

Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
mojo2go
Tourer

Try polarizing your generator first by hooking a wire to the "A" terminal on the generator and just touch the other end to the positive on the battery for a split second. If it still does not charge, I'd try a different regulator. If that does not help, pull your generator and check to be sure the brushes are touching the armature...sometimes one or both will stick back away from it or be worn out. Another option is to pull it and have it tested. If you go to a stock regulator you'll have to put an idiot light in the system if there is not one on the bike already. Hope this helps.