Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Hand drawn wiring diagram for XLCH...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If and when you put GEN-light it good to add diode between gen-light and regulator, it protect regulator and generator... factory added it bikes that have electronic regulator.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Sean Brand
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 xlch 900 wiring diagram

Hello my name is Sean I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to hunt down a simple wiring diagram for my 1968 xlch 900 Ironhead she's on a rigid frame kick start only Morse Fairbanks magneto taillight/brake light turnsignals and headlight is basically all I'm looking to do just bare minimum I got a generator a mechanical regulator and there is no wiring at all on her now The magneto has bin fully rebuilt and a key installed but thats it any help is greatly appreciated i'm still a little ways off before i really get into it I just wanna start getting my head wrapped around the wiring so I know what I'm up against

Old 09-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

While you are looking for the wiring diagram, see if you can scrounge up some periods too.

A two second Google search yielded this:

https://www.harleykmodel.com/technic...8-1969-xlh.pdf

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-28-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Brand
Hello my name is Sean I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to hunt down a simple wiring diagram for my 1968 xlch 900 Ironhead she's on a rigid frame kick start only Morse Fairbanks magneto taillight/brake light turnsignals and headlight is basically all I'm looking to do just bare minimum I got a generator a mechanical regulator and there is no wiring at all on her now The magneto has bin fully rebuilt and a key installed but thats it any help is greatly appreciated i'm still a little ways off before i really get into it I just wanna start getting my head wrapped around the wiring so I know what I'm up against
Hello Sean, welcome to the forum. You are in luck because Lowbrow Customs just posted this link to free Sportster factory repair manuals. The 70-78 manual I downloaded has wiring diagrams, so I'm sure the one for your bike will. You will also find putting your bike together will be a lot easier with the factory manual. Good luck and post some pictures of your bike in a new 'hello' thread.

One of the most important tools you can have in your garage... A proper manual!

A detailed service manual or trouble-shooting guide can help you quickly identify problems...And save you many hours of work!

We have assembled an assortment of free Harley Sportster shop manuals, troubleshooting guides and parts books that you can view or download and save as a PDF.

Did we mention they are totally free?

Perfect for viewing, or print out sections as you need them and don't worry about getting greasy fingerprints all over the pages!

BROWSE MANUALS

PS - Or if you prefer we have traditional printed manuals and parts books as well!

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (09-28-2021)
Old 05-26-2023, 09:13 PM
JColton
Stage III
Default 1972 xlch

Hey PG...... I'm hoping you can help a newbie with a wiring problem. I have a service manual and some other downloaded schematics but I can't seem to find one that includes the Starter Relay that is on my bike. This bike was a "barn find" that I picked up forme and my grandson to fix up. I've tried wiring it myself but I'm all over the place. Just looking for a simple setup with no blinkers, speedo, etc..... just push button start. I have a layout here I hope you can simplify for me. Thanks in advance..... Jerry C.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-26-2023, 12:50 PM
hsmithhsmith
3rd Gear

Appreciate sharing these wiring diagrams.