Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Installation of Adjustable Main Jet Kit for Keihin

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Installation of Adjustable Main Jet Kit for Keihin

I have the Adjustable Main Jet Kit for Keihin. It came with no instruction sheet. I presume that i have to drill a hole in the bowl: very precisely where? what size?

How do the parts fit together: there is a part that looks something like a main jet, and there is another that looks like the accelerator pump rod?

The jet in the kit is a 180. It would be useful to have a idea about how many turns out would make it 165, 170, 175.

There should have been an instruction sheet included but "Preston Cycle Products Inc" has not included one. Idiots!

I am guessing it goes like this:
1. remove main jet
2. screw in thing that looks like a main jet
3. install rod thru thing, pointy end down
4. attach bowl
5. tap top of rod so pointy end marks bowl where to drill
6. partially dismantle adj main jet
7. measure for hole
8. drill hole
9. install main jet.
10. screw with it until it works

Any advice/comments/whatever appreciated.

Mick
IronHead Forever!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: Installation of Adjustable Main Jet Kit for Keihin

That's basically it - you use the guide you screwed in the main jet hole to hold the marker pin. Put the bowl back on and twist the pin to mark the inside of the bowl. As far as the bit size goes, I don't know. I think I'd call someone who sells the kit and ask them to e-mail or fax an instruction sheet to you. The average adjustment is 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated - fine tune it from there.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There should have been an instruction sheet included but "Preston Cycle Products Inc" has not included one. Idiots!

H-mmm, who is the idiot here? I think you had better contact them about that if you don't know how to install it........pg

Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
72xlch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow n you thought i talked giberish eh ?PG
2 post by mdawdy and battin zero with the resident expert..............

Wait till you get directions.............

Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: piniongear ... H-mmm, who is the idiot here? ...
If you are implying that i am the idiot then your next post should be an apology to me. If you are merely intending some kind of humor, well, perhaps i could let it go, eh.

Mick
IronHead Forever!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Consider my comment an effort at light comedy, but..........
Understand one thing about me personally. When I see what I consider to be bull ****, I am going to call the person on it.

The ironhead forum is made up of members who need help with keeping their ironheads running, and all members are willing to help each other when we can. We don't do chrome, we don't have dealers fix our bikes like over on the other sites. We work on our machines ourselves and trade knowledge back and forth regarding keeping an ironhead running.

At the same time, if there is a line of BS being put out there, a member who has a serious problem does not need to hear any of that crap.
To the point, I recently read a post you did telling a member to gap his spark plug to .050 to get his timing light to work.
I made a request to you asking you to explain your statement about that.
Your reply did nothing to convince me that the information was factual. I replied that I thought your answer was silly and I remain a skeptic. That still stands. So don't take it personal, it is only my view.

If any of us want to make a helpful comment, we should do so providing we know it to be the truth and can back up our statement with a service manual or some other such proof if asked to verify what we have said. If we cannot meet that standard, then let's be quiet and listen some more. That seems fair enough.
I have made many mis-statements myself in the past and I always get called on it.
I simply eat crow and move on, hoping to do better the next time............pg

Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: piniongear

... The ironhead forum is made up of members who need help with keeping their ironheads running, and all members are willing to help each other when we can. We don't do chrome, we don't have dealers fix our bikes like over on the other sites. We work on our machines ourselves and trade knowledge back and forth regarding keeping an ironhead running.
This would be me.

... To the point, I recently read a post you did telling a member to gap his spark plug to .050 to get his timing light to work ...I replied that I thought your answer was silly ...
So i see that youwould rather use a put-down than investigate further. This accomplishes nothing.

If any of us want to make a helpful comment, we should do so providing we know it to be the truth and can back up our statement with a service manual or some other such proof if asked to verify what we have said. If we cannot meet that standard, then let's be quiet and listen some more. That seems fair enough.
I gave you the exact story of the technique. There is no more to it than that. Of course it is not in any manual. What i said is very most definitely a helpful comment. It is most certainly factually true. If i stayed quiet i would be robbing people of knowledge of this simple and valuable tecjnique.

Try it yourself.

Mick
IronHead Forever!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Horse13
Advanced

Hey Piniongear------->

mdawdy- AKA - Mick AKA - the IRONHEAD MODERATOR @ XLforum. (unless it's some *** posing as this guy....anything is possible, I suppose)

But........I saw him post the exact same post in his forum.

Guess he couldn't get the answer in his own forum after he posted?

The answer-------->

Easy thing would be to tell the parts supplier to SUPPLY THE FREAKIN INSTRUCTIONS.

LOL

Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 PM
pitbull1
Advanced

This is a forum where people with problems with their Ironheads come for help.Not to be publically rediculed.So what if it is IronMick from the xl Ironhead forum.Even thoughthat forummay not have theencyclopedia ofknowledge this one is blessed with it,it is still a brother Ironhead forum that is well run and well intentioned.Pinion is the man here.He was funnin the man as he stated.He has the creds to do that..You do not

Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Horse13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: pitbull1

This is a forum where people with problems with their Ironheads come for help.Not to be publically rediculed.So what if it is IronMick from the xl Ironhead forum.Even thoughthat forummay not have theencyclopedia ofknowledge this one is blessed with it,it is still a brother Ironhead forum that is well run and well intentioned.Pinion is the man here.He was funnin the man as he stated.He has the creds to do that..You do not

hmmmmmmm..........

R U TRYING TO "RIDICULE" ME "PUBLICLY"?????
LOL!

A man shouldn't be ashamed of where he comes from. So where is the ridicule? And if he is ashamed, then it's he who has the problem.

And I don't think you have the "creds" to mother or spank me. So lets get back to dishing out advice and help.

Like suggesting one asks a parts vendor for the instructions.

Or buying a manual before you start tearing into stuff.

Both common sense & good bits of advice andin anyones book I'd say.

If I have something personal tosay to you, I'll PM it. I suggest you take your own advice and do likewise.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Installation of Adjustable Main Jet Kit for Keihin