Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'65/'72 chopper oil tank help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 AM
supergwit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '65/'72 chopper oil tank help

my bike is almost done.&nbsp\\; honest.&nbsp\\; about time....

...anyway, i just got the new motor into the frame.&nbsp\\; i was running a '65 in my rigid frame until i put the '72 together and am going to use that now.&nbsp\\; problem is i sold my old oil tank on ebay (for a lot less than i thought i was going to get for it) because i thought it wouldn't fit and now here i am without an oil tank.&nbsp\\; i'm trying to figure out a way to put a battery box and an oil tank on this frame without making it too ugly or having to do too much metal work.&nbsp\\; this is where you guys come in.&nbsp\\; i'm posting two pictures of what the bike looks like as of today.&nbsp\\; please take a look at it and shoot some ideas at me about placement, shape, size, maybe even where to buy parts.&nbsp\\; any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again, guys.&nbsp\\; you've been more help to me than i could ever repay.

super

[IMG]local://upfiles/25927/56C73EFC7C494FE0939BA217CA387A44.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 AM
supergwit
Intermediate
Default RE: '65/'72 chopper oil tank help

here's the second picture

[IMG]local://upfiles/25927/5208511F6D684832BE42330B278C5EAF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2008, 08:01 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You have two choices as I see it, and both require the purchase of another oil tank.
The side mount tank will be the easiest to mount, but it will require you to also purchase or fabricate a battery mount.
&nbsp\\;The other choice is going to be buying a 'Horseshoe' type of tank that the battery fits into a recess and is surrounded by the tank. This is a neater mount in my opinion, but servicing the battery is going to be a pain every time you have to check the water level.

&nbsp\\;Another tip for you is that your sprocket appears to be a 24T. If this is what you intend to run on the machine, I think you need to change it out to a 23T before running the machine. A 24T is going to be too much gear for the engine to pull.

&nbsp\\;I see you have both heads sitting on the engine without rocker boxes. I assume that the heads are not bolted on yet? That rear head will most likely need the rocker box attached before you install the head, but I am sure you know that already..........pg

Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see this is an electric start. The battery is pretty big (mine is the size of a small car battery) and will impact the size and type of tank you can use. I don't think they make a horseshoe tank that will accept that big of a battery.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is a battery tray on Ebay (350057312577)
Here is a side mount oil tank on Ebay (
320263343210)
and another....(
140242925136)
and another....(
220207930241)
&nbsp\\;Well, you get the idea............pg

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
supergwit
Intermediate

thanks guys.

do those oil tanks just bolt on or am i going to have to get some welding done to the bike?&nbsp\\; ideally, i'd like to purchase a setup that i can attach to the bike as easily as possible.&nbsp\\; i'd love to get this thing on the road before august...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
supergwit
Intermediate

also, the motor is a 1000 bored .20 over - do you still think the 24t is too much for the engine to pull?&nbsp\\; i'm looking at 23t sprockets on ebay and they're dirt cheap.&nbsp\\; as you know, the bike is only a four speed, and i'd like to be able to get a comfortable cruising speed of between 50 - 60 mph without over revving the motor.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: supergwit

also, the motor is a 1000 bored .20 over - do you still think the 24t is too much for the engine to pull?.
I not only think it is too much gear....I know it is too much.
The bike will pull it, but you will only like having a 24T on there when you are riding 65 mph or faster.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;What happens is you will find yourself having to slip the clutch to take off at low speeds and the clutch is going to give you the feeling that it is jerking and slipping, which is exactly what is happening. You will also have to grind some aluminum off the lower bolt enclosure on the sprocket cover to fit a 24T on the bike. Trust me, I've been there-done that. You will not like a 24T at all unless you are going to do a 1000 mile trip without stopping along the way.

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;For the mounting of the oil tank........
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Looking at your pics I see no lugs of any kind on the aftermarket rigid frame to allow you to mount a tank.
So, the answer is yes, you will have to have lugs made and welded to the frame.
First decide which oil tank you want to use.....side mount or horseshoe.
The side mount tank is going to be the easiest to get mounted in my opinion. Attached I have shown you an illustration from the parts list that shows the bracket needed (item 20) to mount a side tank on a swing arm frame.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Use this as an idea of the shape needed when you design your mount plate to fit the rigid frame.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;The wrap around center tank that you once had uses a different bracket (item 30) but you will not be able to use the same bracket for an aftermarket Horseshoe tank with a battery compartment.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;This is one of the main headaches of using aftermarket parts. You have to mount them and this always requires you to do some thinking about how you are going to get it done.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Also, if you go with a side mount be sure to design a bracket that will allow the use of the rubber bushings to mount the tank (items 43 and 44.......3 of each).
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;The side mount tank is fastened to the bracket at 3 places and has a pair of rubber bushings at each bolt.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Very important! Fail to rubber mount it and the tank will soon split wide open.........pg

edit note: If you buy a 23T off Ebay, make sure the seller guarantees you the sprocket is in perfect shape (or better yet new) because as a sprocket begins to wear (this is a result of chain wear) the teeth begin to slope forward with a hook developing. Putting such a worn sprocket on the bike with a new chain will quickly eat the chain alive.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/3FCA58AE77A54F76AC227648402D70BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
supergwit
Intermediate
Default RE: '65/'

thanks pinion - just bought this (270156126541) on ebay.&nbsp\\; i hope this is the right part.&nbsp\\; once again, i appreciate your time.&nbsp\\; as far as the oil tank is concerned, i have a good friend who is a master welder and has his own shop in the next town over.&nbsp\\; if i'm going to have to weld it anyway, i might as well just have him fab up a whole new tank and battery box for me.&nbsp\\; it'll probably end up costing me less in the long run.

i can't wait to get this bike on the road and show you guys some pictures of the finished project.&nbsp\\; i'll keep you posted.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 AM
supergwit
Intermediate
Default RE: '

you guys ever seen an oil tank mounted on the front of the frame behind the fork?&nbsp\\; maybe between the forward controls?&nbsp\\; i figure i could probably buy a cylindrical one off ebay and just weld it on there for cheap money.

i'm posting an updated photo of the bike, too.&nbsp\\; almost there...