Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead - Shovelhead Which is it

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
They were always just Sportster. Then the EVO arrived.
They are called Ironheads, because they have, you guessed it, cast iron heads, vs aluminum
Has nothing to do with EBAY.
Flats, Knucks, Pans, Shovels, Blocks, Twinkies are all big twins. As noted, separate tranny from motor. Sportys are 'unit' type, meaning the motor and tranny are one unit.
I have over the years, heard ppl refer to Ironheads as Shovelheads, but they're not.
If you were to call me and tell me you needed a certain part for your 72 Shovelhead, and you have a Sporty, you are going to be vastly disappointed/surprised when you see what I hand you. Jus' sayin'.
You didn't read the posts very carefully. My point was that ebay sellers often call early Sportsters Shovelhead Sportsters, and this in turn causes others to post it the same way.

You are right about the term Ironhead, though. I'd never heard them called that until the event of Evo Sportsters. Until then, of course, they were just Sportsters. "Ironhead" does seem a useful and distinguishing term, and I kind of like it.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:52 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by Broken Leg Rider
Why call the 1000 cc Shovelhead Sportster an Ironhead? Been doing that myself but it is a Shovel after all - isn't it? Same shape heads as the bigger Shovel.

Enclosed are 2 photos of the 2 motors. The similarities are minor at best. To remotely confuse the 2 is as a consequence of inexperience and lack of knowledge on your part.You nor the other motorcycle knowledge impaired person from ebay have a clue. The sooner you admit that the better. If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffling with ones bullshiet doesn't work here.

Attached Thumbnails Ironhead - Shovelhead  Which is it-xlchmotor.jpg   Ironhead - Shovelhead  Which is it-shovelhead_88-648x763.jpg  

Last edited by badinfluence63; 10-05-2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Admin was mad because I called them a dumb ass
The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (02-12-2020)
Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Enclosed are 2 photos of the 2 motors. There are minor differences at best. To remotely confuse the 2 is as a consequence of in-experience and limited knowledge.You nor the other dumb *** from ebay don't have a clue. The sooner you admit that the better. If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffling with your bullshiet doesn't work here.
Your statement is almost correct, so I took the liberty of correcting it with a couple of added words to your post...........pg

Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

I'll go one better. I don't think the differences between a Shovelhead and an Ironhead Sportster could be called "minor at best". The differences are major, any way you look at it - unit construction vs. separate engine/trans, 4 cams vs. 1 cam, iron heads vs. aluminum heads, etc. I'll bet the only interchangable engine parts are a few bolts, the rocker shaft plugs & nuts, some timer covers and air cleaners, and maybe a half-moon key or two. The only similarities between the two are the general 45 degree engine architecture and the rocker box shape, and even that is different in the later Ironheads, when they went to the notched rocker boxes.

rockher_man (02-12-2020)
Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
ohiohog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just goes to show that the internet will NEVER beat a good loe fashion wrench!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
ohiohog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correction "OLD". Sorry guys..

Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by 83XLX
I'll go one better. I don't think the differences between a Shovelhead and an Ironhead Sportster could be called "minor at best". The differences are major, any way you look at it - unit construction vs. separate engine/trans, 4 cams vs. 1 cam, iron heads vs. aluminum heads, etc. I'll bet the only interchangable engine parts are a few bolts, the rocker shaft plugs & nuts, some timer covers and air cleaners, and maybe a half-moon key or two. The only similarities between the two are the general 45 degree engine architecture and the rocker box shape, and even that is different in the later Ironheads, when they went to the notched rocker boxes.

I had a mental snafu I meant to say the similarities were minor. Thanks for taking the ball and running with it. You are absolutely correct in your well written explanation.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:55 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by piniongear
Your statement is almost correct, so I took the liberty of correcting it with a couple of added words to your post...........pg
My intention was to accurately describe that the shovel and the sportster motors should not be easily confused. I have never heard anyone refer to any sportster as a shovelhead? Your additions along with 83XLX comments are accurate and appreciated.

And just say no to drugs. (Meaning that the for recreation use only 30+ years ago can come back to haunt you!)

Last edited by badinfluence63; 10-05-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Enclosed are 2 photos of the 2 motors. There are minor differences at best. To remotely confuse the 2 is as a consequence of experience and knowledge.You nor the other dumb *** from ebay don't have a clue. The sooner you admit that the better. If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffling with your bullshiet doesn't work here.
I think you are showing a blow up color of the big shovel and comparing it to a miniature BW of the 900 Sportster Ironhead. This is far more bull**** than the original post. To start the thread I was only putting forward a question more or less. So why so defensive? Certainly not trying to insult anyone. I had heard the phrase "Shovelhead" Sportster often enough to bring up the discussion.

Don't intend to insult the ol grandaddy big Shovel by saying a Sporty is one. Of course the tranny is separate and the big daddy walks the talk, but I was talking about the similar look at the top of the 79 1000cc Sportster. If one looks like a shovel, so does the other. Actually I don't see the shovel in either. -

But watch your insults unless you want this to get nasty.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

You guys need to chill. The guy asked a simple question. I think it's been answered. Name Calling will not be tolerated.

Terry
HDF Admin

rockher_man (02-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Ironhead - Shovelhead Which is it