Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Carbs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 PM
bucaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs??

My '74 XLH came with an S&S E on it. I have put about 1500 miles on it and I am not impressed. Seems too tempermental for me. Can't seem to dial it in.
Looking to change and I ask for suggestions. I am leaning towards a 38 or 40 mm Bendix. I am most familar with them since thats' what I grew up with. Looking also at a Mikuni but I need some guidance there. Never had one.
And just out of curiousity, what kind of mileage are you guys getting with your Sportys of similar years.

Thanks,
Bucaman

Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bucaman
My '74 XLH came with an S&S E on it. I have put about 1500 miles on it and I am not impressed. Seems too tempermental for me. Can't seem to dial it in.
Looking to change and I ask for suggestions. I am leaning towards a 38 or 40 mm Bendix. I am most familar with them since thats' what I grew up with. Looking also at a Mikuni but I need some guidance there. Never had one.
And just out of curiousity, what kind of mileage are you guys getting with your Sportys of similar years.

Thanks,
Bucaman
I have both a round slide Mikuni and a 38mm Bendix carb for my 1971 XLCH. Both are good carbs with Mikuni being the best of the two.
But, there are differences that should be noted when trying to decide which one you may like best.
In any case, do not buy a 40mm for an ironhead. This size carb is intended for the big twin and is too large to work well on an ironhead.
The best feature (by far) of the Mikuni is the smooth running and easy starting.

The biggest drawback (to me) is that it uses a flexible throttle cable which makes me use a cable hanging out in the wind.
Another drawback is the carb needs an adapter to fit it up to the manifold and the result is the carb sticks way out to the right compared to the Bendix.

The Bendix best feature is it uses a solid wire cable that allows me to use my original enclosed (within the handlebar) throttle cable and twist grip.
One drawback is compared to the Mikuni, the carb does not start the engine as easily.....but it does a good job of it.
I use the Bendix carb most of the time. I have the adjustable main jet model, but I suggest you get the fixed jet model should you decide to go with the Bendix.
Hope this helps some...............pg

Old 10-03-2008, 09:45 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Bendix's are easier to find parts for. Mikuni's are a little more difficult, but run really well.

I have never had a bendix but I have had a Mikuni and I loved it.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:34 AM
bucaman
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to hear from you PG.
Still leaning toward the Bendix. What are the issues with the 40mm Bendix?
Thanks..

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

It's to big of a carb for our bikes. 38MM is the largest you should ever go. If you go with a 40 you will have continuous problems of trying to tune it. It will be constantly running to rich.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 AM
bucaman
Cruiser

Thats my feelig with the S&S. Can't seem to get it where I want it. Too much adjusting.
Thanks again...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:31 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by supr2nr
It's to big of a carb for our bikes. 38MM is the largest you should ever go. If you go with a 40 you will have continuous problems of trying to tune it. It will be constantly running to rich.
Yep! I ditto Randy on that.........pg