Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ironhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironhead-66/)
-   -   Ironhead value? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironhead/282593-ironhead-value.html)

HGM 10-02-2008 05:24 AM

Ironhead value?

I've got a buddie with an '80 Ironhead sitting in a barn. He tells me he's wanting to sell it and wants $4k for it :eek:. Not, being very familiar with them combined with knowing I can get a '90 ish EVO 1200 for the same money, same or better condition, this sounds like an awefull lot. He said that AMF was in the VIN and that adds to the value.

So, my question:
Whats the draw to these? I understand the nastalgia, any old harley has that. But, is there something "special" about these bikes? Better than a '75 or '85 in any way?

Just trying to expand my understanding a bit.. Thanks,

carlgrover 10-02-2008 08:26 AM

Whats special about an ironhead?

Ironheads can be cantankerous. They are a little wierd to work on. And you will work on it a lot. They vibrate. They are impossible to start unless you have learned "the ritual". They leak oil. They were not built too well. They were geared really low so at today's interstate speeds you will be screaming the guts out of it in order to keep up with traffic.

They are also fun to ride. I've had one since 1981 and grin from ear to ear every time I get on it. I won't ever sell it either. I wouldn't pay $4,000 for one in a barn though. Especially not an 80 model. If it was a 1974 with right foot shift or quite a bit older the "antique" appeal would be more attractive. But even then $4k is a lot. $2,000 sounds better but you won't get it for that. Used EVO sportsters are cheap and plentiful for the same price.

That bike is going to want tons of TLC before you ride it. Then it's going to want some more. The worst thing that you can do to a bike is to let it sit around and dry out. Every seal, o-ring, and gasket on it is going to leak until its replaced. The brakes will need to be rebuild too. The wheel cylinders and master cylinder are probably dried up and siezed. You will damage parts trying to get them off to replace the gaskets, etc.. Yes, you will.

The guys that buy these old dinosaurs usually already have several in the garage. They've come to love them due to years of experience. They also enjoy working on them and keeping the old nostaligic bikes alive.

My ironhead is a 75. The first year for left-foot shift. The shifter-shaft is still on the right though. Harley came up with a real doozy of a linkage setup to move the shifter to the left. It's a wonder it works. Right now it's leaking oil from somewhere underneath it. The rear rocker box gasket needs replacing (again). It left me stranded on the side of the road last weekend.

Gotta love those old ironheads.

mojo2go 10-02-2008 09:01 PM

Yeah, that sounds a little steep price wise for one of that year unless it's in mint, rideable condition. $2,500 - $3,000 sounds more like it if it's complete and not hacked up. I've owned a couple '80s and have looked at a few others, but have never seen AMF stamped along with the vin.

Y2K 10-02-2008 09:36 PM

Run way screaming! :D

HGM 10-02-2008 10:08 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not really interested in it personally. I think $1500 would be more than I cared to pay for it, my self, though might make more sense.. I was more curious of the "draw" to the Iron Head. I've heard several guys talk well about them, possibly, because it was their first bike and where they learned to work on them. I do like the idea of owning older iron someday, but I too thought $4k was out of line. He is a guy who just paid $13k for a '98 Wide Glide in bone stock form w/ very little added, so his judgement is a little questionable.. Apparently, AMF is in the VIN code, someone told him that was "rare" and that it added value.. I had a hard time understanding how anything proving AMF ownership added value to the brand, but I took him at his word.. Hey, thanks again, interesting info, I've never really been around these bikes.

Broken Leg Rider 10-04-2008 09:27 PM

Take a look at them on Ebay, but don't look at the price until they are sold. The prices are inflated compared to an early EVO for example. I find the engine to be stronger than an EVO (had them both). The EVO was far more reliable.

You need to be a pretty good wrench to ride an old Ironhead. After all they are 30 years old or more. You can get a pretty good kick start Ironhead for $2400 or so. The electrics are about $3,000. The combo kick and electrics are going for about $3,500. The antique rebuilds are going for $5 or $6 thousand.

It would need several hundred into it right away. Will be a thousand before you would call it a safe bet to get you where you are going. That's doing the work yourself, too. Don't buy an Ironhead because it looks like a good deal. Buy it cause you like riding one. I love riding mine. The first three gears are low. Fourth is a huge jump and will get you to 70 no sweat. The Ironhead has plenty of torque to handle a slight sprocket ratio change if you want. The frame on my 79 has less steel than the EVO, so it's a bit squirrelly. She will stand up of I want her to. The EVO 1200 didn't quite have that.

popstheoldman 10-05-2008 10:34 AM

ok i wouldnt buy a sporty made by a.m.f due to the fact that there was a lot of sabatoge done by the workers lower end goin at 20,000 miles wrenches in transmissions
etc.etc.etc.after it went back to harley all of that stopped and to pay 4,000 for a sporty it would have to be made of gold that person is just playin you yo get money i bought my 82 sporty electric start for only 1,000 and only did minor work to make it run
right now its torn down to rebuild amf is nothing more than scrap iron unless u put alot of money in it to straighten it out check the history out if u dont believe me

VikingRider 10-05-2008 10:26 PM

Sabatoge,...wrenches in trannys,...scrap iron,.....................what the hell are you talking about?

Sport King 10-05-2008 10:34 PM

I have a 69 CH and am the original owner . I can document that from day one . I'll sell it but you wont want to know the price . Last year for a magneto !

Broken Leg Rider 10-06-2008 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sport King (Post 3957535)
I have a 69 CH and am the original owner . I can document that from day one . I'll sell it but you wont want to know the price . Last year for a magneto !

Bravo! I had a 69 with a magneto in college, my only transportation 69-72. What a brute to start up since I could never really get it to fire exactly the same every time. Seemed to have an evil tendancy to kick back but only when you didn't expect it. Broke my ankle one evening when I was somewhat "impaired". It was stolen when I stored it while in the cast. What a drag cause I loved it anyway -:) No battery, no generator and no associated problems. Would love to get another, but can't forget that ankle since I am no longer indestructible.