Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

76 sporty

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Rich G.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 sporty

i got a 76 sporty and a shop shop manual. first off i know i have to rewire the whole thing. i'm going to change it over to electronic ignition. are there any pointers or advice. as i get ready to take on this project.

Attached Thumbnails 76 sporty-sporty.jpg   76 sporty-sporty-2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

Try your hardest to do one thing at a time. Meaning if you re-wire the bike make that your only project. Make sure the bike runs and is working great before starting on the next project. Can't tell you how many times I have seen people (even myself) take on 15 projects all at once on the bike and then wonder why when your all done it doesn't start.

Also when you go into the electronic ignition. Save the extra bucks and go for a single fire. You will enjoy it soo much more. The coil and the ignition will cost more but you will have less trouble and a better working system.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Rich G.
Intermediate

^ thanks man . i went with the single fire. also the bike hasn't ran in about 10 yrs.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

Hey I just noticed where you located at in TN? I'm from Jackson, you from anywhere near their?

You have a really good looking bike. It won't be long and that bike will be up and running.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

dont go with electronics points will always get you home and electronics are very expensive

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Rich G.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by supr2nr
Hey I just noticed where you located at in TN? I'm from Jackson, you from anywhere near their?

You have a really good looking bike. It won't be long and that bike will be up and running.
I'm in clarksville tn. about 2 and a half hours. I started my new job today so maybe i can get back to workin on it this weekend.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Rich G.
Intermediate

hey popstheoldman i got the electronic ign about 6 years ago. so i went on ahead and installed it yesterday.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

ok also any splices u make into the harnesses try to solder them tigether instead of using crimp connectors as a soldered connection is more electrically less resistant also if u can solder all crimp on connectors less resistance better electrical flow

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Rich G.
Intermediate

hey pops i wish i had a wiring harness. all wiring is being ran one wire at a time. this is going to take forever.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 PM
ironhead76
Stage II

Hey guys, I just looked at a '76 ironhead tonight that sounds like it'll need alot of the same work you're doing. The bike I'm looking at hasn't run for a few years so I'm not sure what all I'm going to get into. Do you guys have any idea what a bike like this is worth when you're not sure what all you're getting into with it?

Quick Reply: 76 sporty