Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
jswhitex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear shocks

Hello again,
I have a 75 sportster that is running great, the on ly problem is that I am a big guy and when I ride solo, the rear end bottoms out on some bumps and the rear tire rubs the top of the fender. I believe that the original shocks are still on this beast and was wondering everyone's opinion on a good replacement shock. If it were just me riding, i would just deal with it, but my lady wants on there too and even though she is a little thing, with the extra weight I know the bumps that haven't bottomed me out will botoom us out! So...any personal opinon on this subject would be great.

You guys rock!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem i used a set off of a 2001 wide glide, just changed the bottom bushings,they were the same length as my stock ones(my ride is a 84) i am not sure how long yours are.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 PM
jswhitex
Advanced

Originally Posted by shepdog
i had the same problem i used a set off of a 2001 wide glide, just changed the bottom bushings,they were the same length as my stock ones(my ride is a 84) i am not sure how long yours are.
did that keep you from bottoming out? mine are 14"

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

You can e-mail or phone Progressive, tell them about your bike and your weight, and they will make a recommendation. Have not done this myself but this is what others say.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It isn't good idea to put used shocks from wrong model... length might be right but spring is wrong and so shock absorber also. Think about difference weights Dyna WG about 640lbs and old sportster about 530lbs, look what position your sportster shocks are and how they are in dyna. Angle and distance in rear fork are totally different.
They work and they can be customized to fit but they are good solution.
As Mick wrote buy new shocks, 14.25" is original length in -75, I have good experiences PS products.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problems at all, same length,ride is great, no bottoming out just didnt have the extra cash for prog. shocks these were new got the at 1/4 cost of new i am a big guy i think i make up any dif. in weight between the dyna and sporty!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

I had the same problem on my '73 & I called Progressive & the shocks they sent rock!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM
jswhitex
Advanced

thanx for all the input, i ordered the heavy duty progressives today, can't wait to put them on and ride smoother. thank you once again

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no problems at all, same length,ride is great, no bottoming out just didnt have the extra cash for prog. shocks these were new got the at 1/4 cost of new i am a big guy i think i make up any dif. in weight between the dyna and sporty!
There is big difference between shocks even in sportsters, when -79 came new frame rear shocks changed. When you look pics you notice it, mounting points are totally different place
in your -84 lower mounting point is in above rear axle. In -75 lower mounting point is middle of the swing. So in newer frames rear shock is almost vertical and end of swing arm, in older frames shocks are about 30-40º angle in middle of the swing arm.
In normal highway there isn't so much difference ( even if you riding with hardtail) but in twisty farmroad you can tell difference at once. So were and how you are riding makes difference.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

I put a set of FXDX sport shocks on the rear of my '83. The springs are a little stiff - I only get about 1/2" sag when I'm sitting on the bike with the springs on the lightest preload. I like a bike that's stiffly sprung, so no problem there. The problem with putting stiffer, better shocks on the rear is the front end then seemed to handle like junk. The new shocks were 3/4" longer than the stockers. That, and the stiffer springs made the front end feel mushy and the bike wallowed in fast turns. Solved that with a set of Progressive springs in the front with 3/4" preload spacers and some 15 weight fork oil. The bike does great now - rides smoother and handles better, and 2-up is no problem.

Quick Reply: rear shocks