Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:30 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the only thing that i could find wrong was one of the cam follower springs was broke,replaced all 5 springs in the shifter mechanisim, put a set of new rollers bearings on the detent and went ahead and put a new cam follower in , changed both shifter bushings ( we have a couple of old independent bike shops locally that keep allot of old ironhead parts on the shelf) put her back together and it works perfect! i was all paranoid about the bearings on the right side but the bearings never moved looks like they were in a race so they could not fall out, still put grease on the just to make sure , thanks all

Old 09-05-2009, 08:25 PM
hdxlch
4th Gear

Excellent! congrats on not only finding the problem but also fixing it! Two big accomplishments on these old bikes.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:28 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shepdog
well the only thing that i could find wrong was one of the cam follower springs was broke,replaced all 5 springs in the shifter mechanisim, put a set of new rollers bearings on the detent and went ahead and put a new cam follower in , changed both shifter bushings ( we have a couple of old independent bike shops locally that keep allot of old ironhead parts on the shelf) put her back together and it works perfect! i was all paranoid about the bearings on the right side but the bearings never moved looks like they were in a race so they could not fall out, still put grease on the just to make sure , thanks all
Well let us know how it works out

Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 PM
joaocan
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in gear issue ends up being brain was stuck in gear

rode home Saturday no problems but I had a bad rattle on my heel shifter. I took it out and tightened it back nice. I set up a ride with my buddies for Sunday and invited my wife too... Sunday early morning I go out to start and prepare for ride and bike was stuck in gear... I couldn’t figure it out so I told my buddies and wife the bike is not able to ride that day. I could not see wtf was wrong. Rechecked it Tuesday and still stuck in gear. Went to check Thursday after work and I realized I was instead of dropping it into 1st like an intelligent person would do, I had some fricken brain fart and was pushing it into 6th more and more thinking I was pushing it into 1st I was doing it all backwards.... this embarrassing moment will go down in history. I look st it this way peg ape something was trying to keep me home that day... I obviously wasn’t all there so best thing I stayed home. Unbelievable coming from a seasoned rider too... WTF ANYONE ELSE HAVE CRAZY BLOOPERS LIKE THAT???

Old 03-21-2020, 01:53 PM
boodie
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by joaocan
WTF ANYONE ELSE HAVE CRAZY BLOOPERS LIKE THAT???
Old thread, but there's not a lot of new Ironhead posts...So...I had a brain fade yesterday...Put battery in to turn engine over, twisted ignition key and nothing happened...Tried it several times and finally remembered I had to push the handlebar switch as well...