Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

finding a trustworthy iron head mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
TCBronson
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding a trustworthy iron head mechanic

Anybody have a recomendation for a trustworthy iron head mechanic? I have a 1969 Then Came Bronson replica that needs some engine work (oil leak) and need a recomendation. I live in Arkansas, so hopefully there is one around here somewhere. Check out www.jimbronson.com
Thanks

Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBronson
Anybody have a recomendation for a trustworthy iron head mechanic? I have a 1969 Then Came Bronson replica that needs some engine work (oil leak) and need a recomendation. I live in Arkansas, so hopefully there is one around here somewhere. Check out www.jimbronson.com
Thanks
I know a guy down in Houston, but that's a long way from Arkansas.
What kind of oil leak problem do you have?
Consider fixing it yourself would be my recommendation.........
pg

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear

Consider fixing it yourself would be my recommendation.........
pg
Agree this this isn't "space technology" most you can deal with normal tools...

Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Here's one recommended by a member of another forum ...

USA, AR, Fayetteville: Happy Trails M/C Connection, Ask for Joe

To isolate an oil leak, first thoroughly clean the area then shove paper towels into suspect places; then let sit overnight ans/or go for a short ride. Then examine the p towels. Repeat to isolate more closely.

Post pics of the area for more guidence.

Last edited by IronMick; 10-27-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 AM
TCBronson
Stage IV

Thanks, The oil leak appears to be coming from the split in the cases, directly under the engine. There is some silicon along the split that is coming off. I drained the oil months ago and it still leaks, got to be draining down from the rocker boxes?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TCBronson
Thanks, The oil leak appears to be coming from the split in the cases, directly under the engine. There is some silicon along the split that is coming off. I drained the oil months ago and it still leaks, got to be draining down from the rocker boxes?
A Sportster has a dry sump oil system in case you do not know. (There is no appreciable amount of oil in the crankcase) All of the oil is stored in the oil tank (unlike an automobile engine with a crankcase oil pan)

A true oil leak coming from the crankcase halves would be caused by the crankcase halves not being entirely sealed when they were bolted together. Or have become 'leaky' over time.

If oil were leaking from the rocker boxes (or anywhere else for that matter) it could run down the outside of the engine and collect on the bottom of the crankcase to drip on the ground.

Because you find silicone on the bottom of the case however, this indicates someone has vainly tried to seal the leak.
This will never work. The only way to fix a leak between the case halves is to remove the engine and completely dis-assemble the entire engine.
This is a major thing and will cost more that $1500 to have it done.

The only suggestion I can make is for you to live with the leak, unless you have the money to repair it.
Doing this kind of repair yourself is going to be very difficult if you have never taken a Sportster engine apart before.
Not impossible.....but very difficult, so I suggest you not entertain thoughts of doing that.

Spray the bottom of the engine with Simple Green once in a while and hose it off. Keep an eye on the oil level in the oil tank too.

There are only a few ounces of oil in the bottom end when the engine is running as the oil is continuously pumped throughout the engine.... from the oil tank...through the engine.....and back to the tank.

When you shut off the engine, a few ounces remain in the lower end.
Some of this oil is in the rocker boxes and drains down inside the pushrod tubes, and also drains from holes in the heads down a passage inside the cylinder walls which exits into the cylinders about midway down.
Then the oil drains down the cylinder wall and drops into the lower end where it sits until the next time the engine is started when it is pumped back to the tank. This is a very small amount of oil we are talking about.
This is the oil draining out through the leak as the bike sits.

The only other thing that can cause oil to load up inside the bottom end is if the bike has sat without running for a long time.
Through the force of gravity oil in the oil tank can (and usually does) drain past a ball check in the pump and deposit in the lower end.
Also, there is a transfer valve in the left hand crankcase that will allow the excess oil to flow over into the primary and transmission.

My bike has sat without being started for 18 months and last week I got it running again.
There was no oil in the tank, no oil built up in the lower end......BUT there was better than 2 quarts of oil inside my primary and transition. This drained down through the route I just described.

A sure sign of excess oil in the lower end is when you crank the engine and oil pukes out the breather tube. That means excess oil is in the crankcase.
pg

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

In an attempt to drain the oil from the crank case, do NOT make the same mistake I did.There is a plug towards the front of the crank case. DO NOT pull this plug. It is actually ,just a hole used in machining the case half. The aluminum there is very weak and could strip out very easily, resulting in a permanent oil leak. That is until the halves are split,counterweights and crank pin are removed in order to repair the case. I got lucky, but I'll never take that chance again. He other guys on here can probably clarify a little more than I can.

Congrats on your new ride!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nwpaironhead
In an attempt to drain the oil from the crank case, do NOT make the same mistake I did.There is a plug towards the front of the crank case. DO NOT pull this plug.
There is 3 "drain plugs" under ironhead engine, if you look from right ( cam cover ) side of bike under engine :
Front in engine, middle of case there is plug DO NOT EVER OPEN IT !!!!!
Rear in engine, middle of case there is transmission fluid drain plug ( no need to use)
Rear in engine, primary side there is primary fluid drain plug THIS IS ONLY plug that has actual use.

I haven't seen any ironheads witch have oil leak between engine case halfs, oil leak has ALWAYS been somewhere else. As PG wrote

Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to watch that show in primetime. That brought me back a ways. I had been riding for about two years then at age 12 and anything and everything that had to do with two wheels, I was there.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sepixlh
There is 3 "drain plugs" under ironhead engine, if you look from right ( cam cover ) side of bike under engine :
Front in engine, middle of case there is plug DO NOT EVER OPEN IT !!!!!
Rear in engine, middle of case there is transmission fluid drain plug ( no need to use)
Rear in engine, primary side there is primary fluid drain plug THIS IS ONLY plug that has actual use.

I haven't seen any ironheads witch have oil leak between engine case halfs, oil leak has ALWAYS been somewhere else. As PG wrote
The only thing I can add to that is it will be most unlikely to see the 'Do Not Remove' plug on a Sportster made earlier than 1974. My 1971 has none and a 1969 should have none either.

This plug was used beginning in 1974 or 1975 and later. It can be bad news if it is removed too, as most of us know.
pg

Quick Reply: finding a trustworthy iron head mechanic