Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

74 hardtail project bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
EvilWayz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 hardtail project bike

Hey, I just bought this here 74 ironhead, and I was wondering if anyone knew of an internet resource that I can use to figure out what parts to buy, as I haven't ever made a bike before. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:55 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

eBay is a good source. I have made dozens of purchases there and always did OK. J&P Cycles has a vintage catalog. Their prices are higher than some others but their service is very good. Sporty Specialties is a good source. Any of the other catalog companies like Jireh Cycles, Superiore Motorcycles. KC International. Many more.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 AM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Thanks Mick, I'm always on the lookout for parts sources. But what I'm needing is something along the lines of a parts list of everything that is supposed to be on a running bike.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilWayz
Thanks Mick, I'm always on the lookout for parts sources. But what I'm needing is something along the lines of a parts list of everything that is supposed to be on a running bike.
You are not going to find anything like that. There is no book titled 'How to Build a Sportster.'
All you can do is ask questions and wait for the answers. That's how we all learn.

If you want to learn something about old Ironheads, this forum is about the best place you could hope to come across........... pg

PS: A factory service manual is one book you need to get though.

Last edited by piniongear; 10-04-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
EvilWayz
Tourer

Hmmm. This is going to be interesting then, for some reason I assumed that somewhere there would be a manual with an exploded diagram of a motorcycle in it. Well here's what I have:

frame
engine
wheels ( without discs or drums)
forks with risers and handlebars

So I need:
manifold/carb/aircleaner
generator/alternator
ignition
handcontrols
headlights/taillights/signals
battery
oilbag and pump
wiring harness
brake calipers

Please post if you see something glaringly obvious I missed. Or if there's something I don't need but would make my life easier.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilWayz
Hmmm. This is going to be interesting then, for some reason I assumed that somewhere there would be a manual with an exploded diagram of a motorcycle in it. Well here's what I have:

frame
engine
wheels ( without discs or drums)
forks with risers and handlebars

So I need:
manifold/carb/aircleaner
generator/alternator
ignition
handcontrols
headlights/taillights/signals
battery
oilbag and pump
wiring harness
brake calipers

Please post if you see something glaringly obvious I missed. Or if there's something I don't need but would make my life easier.
One obvious thing you failed to mention on your need list is MONEY.
It is going to take a great deal to accumulate the missing parts I am afraid.

A factory service manual should be at the top of the list.
How about the sheet metal? Fenders, seat, etc.
It looks like you have a generator on the bike now.

Either the front wheel is a spool hub, or the brake rotor is missing.
If it is a spool hub, you will need to just buy another wheel if you want a front brake. otherwise you will need a disc, a caliper , the hose and the lever.
Every motorcycle needs a front wheel brake I might add.

Apart from the missing pieces, there is the question of what the engine is like inside. You obviously never heard this bike run before buying it, did you?

An ironhead engine can have many issues to deal with, and we are talking about a ton of money to fix those......... possibly. If you are very lucky there are no issues with it.

But you have the clutch, the engine, the transmission and a bunch of other stuff you must check out before you know what you are faced with in building this bike. To do this will require having a few special tools.
But, I gotta say......
it looks to me like you took a big bite on this one.
pg

Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 AM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser
Default '74 Ironhead hardtail project

Evil,
I am just in the finishing phases of a '73 XLCH. My first bike as well. A source that i have found extremely valuable is Old Stuff Cycle Shop. They deal almost exclusively in Shovels Ironheads and older stuff. As far as a blow up of a bike, let me know if you find one . That would be GREAT! The way I muddled through my build has been breaking it down into steps. Such as front end...Get bearing cups to fit frame...machine bearing cups to fit stem...put front end on...find hub to fit front end...find rotor to fit hub...find caliper to fit rotor. Then move on to the next "mini project" By doing this, it has not seemed near as overwhelming. Heck, I built my own wiring harness from scratch, with only a factory wiring diagram. And it didn't catch on fire when I juiced it! Amazing! Haha.
Another thing I did as I was building is I just surfed ebay for anything I could under Ironhead sportster as I was searching for what I needed right then , and was able to become familiar with what I was missing and what I would need next.
Just yesterday I lucked out by asking questions on here. Check out the thread 'lotsa pressure' The guys on here know their stuff and are VERY helpful.
I've still got a lot to figure out. For example, right now I'm waiting on new points and condenser, and haven't ever done it before, but hey gotta learn sometime and I'm thinking it'll be fun after I get it figured out. I've got a thread in here bookmarked somewhere and a link to an awesome how to video on you tube.
I've enjoyed building this bike so much that I drug home my next project yesterday. Another '73 XLCH! Uh, guys...I think I might have some more questions.
Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

You need the factory service manual [99484-78], the factory parts manual [99451-78B], and eBay and PayPal accounts. The parts manual contains the schematic diagrams you are looking for.

If you do a Google search on these two part numbers you will find them for about $50 each. Or you can get them from a local shop or HD dealer for twice that. I always favor patronising a local indie shop if you have one. The extra you spend there is well worth the information, friendship, advice, etc you may get.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:21 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

i would check compression right off to let you know whatyou are dealing with.everything else just listen to johnny cash's "one piece at a time" it has always worked for me.seriously good luck with it i hope you finish it i think that will be an awesome bike.

i also would take a couple of other pics from other angles and post them up...you never know what someone might see or not see.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn, pinion, you are really busting this guy's *****.....just sayin'

Remember you will have 2 electrical circuits. One is the engine ignition, the other is accessory....this is for your tailight, headlight, horn, blinkers, etc.

Easy way to do this is to get a Wire Plus ignition setup, where the key is in the housing. I used one on my Evo sporty rigid, and it worked very well.

You will need a battery and cables.....not to mention a battery box
You will need a gas tank, fuel spigot, and fuel lines to the carburetor
A rear fender, and brackets to hold the fender secure.
A seat
handlebar, clamps, handlebar controls and levers
Throttle cable
Clutch cable
Chain, sprockets
Brake rotors
Brake calipers
Brake lines
Brake line switch for tailight 9typically a T-fitting with the switch screwed in)
Oil tank, oil lines, and fittings.

The way to do this, is sit on the bike, and write down things as you picture trying to operate the bike........set aside money for nuts, bolts, fittings, claps, etc. as when you start to assemble, you will come across things that you need.

It's a challenge. Many give up halfway through the project, and sell it off.

~joe

Quick Reply: 74 hardtail project bike