Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1983 Sportster XLX Complete Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Ironhead Ed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1983 Sportster XLX Complete Rebuild

I just got my 1983 Sportster XLX back from my father's farm from being in storage for seven years while I was serving in the military. I bought this bike with my own money when I was 16. She had about 10,000 miles when I got it; now she has close to 15,500 miles. This bike is my first Harley and I will never sell it, even if I become homeless. This old Ironhead was always there for me when I needed it and now I plan on returning the favor.

My plans are to give it the TLC she deserves by:

<>Reworking the engine
<>Powder coating the frame
<>New wheels and tires
<>New tins
<>New front end (lower and upper forks)
<>New rear shocks
<>New seat
<>Forward controls
<>New sprockets and chain
<>Some new accessories (air cleaner cover, mirror, brake light, headlight, chain cover, point cover, grips, and bars)

I want when someone looks at this old girl they will appreciate what Harley was back in the day. I want this Ironhead to stand out like Ironheads deserve to. I am severely torn as to which way I want to go with the build. I'm torn between the bobber and cruiser style so I would like for all of you to keep these two options in mind throughout the build.

Before I start to worry about what it will look like I am more focused on the beating heart of the machine. I would like to consider myself an intermediate at engine and mechanic work so you all will not have to tell me which way is loosen and which way is tighten ....BUT I do want help by you all sharing your great knowledge about this old Ironhead during the rebuild process!

I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you and I hope we don't encounter too many misfortunes along the way. A budget is not really an issue but I am not going to drain my IRA quite yet LOL.

So get your thinken' cap on gentleman (and women if there are any on here) because this project is under way!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Ironhead Ed
Intermediate

Sorry for no before pictures yet. I'm having a hard time uploading my pics right now.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Ironhead Ed
Intermediate

Here are some before pictures of the Sporty.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I get this part, but only if there is a problem. As my indie mechanic says, you do not want to tear down a perfectly good engine ...

<>Reworking the engine

Why do these? ...

<>New wheels
<>New tins
<>New rear shocks

I would keep it as close to stock as possible.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 AM
rgbch3b
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking Sporty ! Thank You for your Service.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMick
I get this part, but only if there is a problem. As my indie mechanic says, you do not want to tear down a perfectly good engine ...

<>Reworking the engine

Why do these? ...

<>New wheels
<>New tins
<>New rear shocks

I would keep it as close to stock as possible.
I'd agree with IronMick, but it's your bike to customize as you please. I wouldn't think a cared-for motor with 15,000 miles on it would need any serious work, though. I went the other way with my '83 XLX, trying to find as many stock bits for it as I could.

Last edited by 83XLX; 04-21-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Ironhead Ed
Intermediate

Well you all have very good points but after seven years of sitting around the frame was rusting pretty bad, chrome was pitting, and I wasn't the nicest to that engine when I was younger (hot roding it). I am only reworking the top end so nothing major will happen within the engine.

As for the front end (upper), rear shocks, and tins they all have ample amount of rust on them from sitting around in Iowa during the winters. I kept the bike covered in a dry garage but still it rusted like someone through salt on it. There is no salvaging these parts. Gas tank is pinged up, rear fender severely rusted, front fender bent and creased (somehow, was like that went I got it). Believe me if you may but the bike needs some intense TLC. I may keep the stock rims but if I do I will get them powder coated.

These pics that I posted were from almost 8 years ago when I put her up in the garage.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

OK, makes more sense now. Good luck with the project. Here's a pic of my XLX when I bought it and what it looked like after I replaced/repainted a lot of stuff like you're talking about. I went for a retro, semi-stock look with it. I'm now into the cafe racer style, but when I look at the resto-mod pics of it from a few years ago, I still like that look, too.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Ironhead Ed
Intermediate

My apologies on keeping all of you waiting on some kind of update. It's been a little hectic since I’ll be moving soon, a little surprise for me. It’s ok though been thinking ahead for the move the whole time. I like to keep order in my shop (we all would like to think so even me) so I have labeled every nut, washer, bolt, clamp, etc. so I know exactly what it is and where it goes. That’s the plan anyway! Here are some pictures from start to about where I am at right now. And yes all I had was jack stands at the moment; they worked fine for the job.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Moving will be fun. I have known a guy who has a motorcycle salvage shop. Must be billions of parts. He has had to move the shop twice in 15 years.

Quick Reply: 1983 Sportster XLX Complete Rebuild