Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cant decide if I should get a 77 Ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 PM
jtuck111
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant decide if I should get a 77 Ironhead

Hey guys, I am new here to the HDforums so forgive me if I'm making this thread in the wrong place. Anyways I have the opportunity to buy a 77 Ironhead Sportster for $1500. The bike sat for 10 years, but the previous owner got it running but says it still needs a cam cover seal and a battery. I am not too worried about these two issues, but I Have heard stories about Ironheads not being too reliable. I guess I'm asking will this bike be a money pit or will I be able to enjoy it more than fix it. I don't have much experience working on bikes, but I am not afraid of learning as I go. Also since it did sit for a long time, is there anything I should look out for? By thew way this would be the second bike I have owned.
Thanks guys!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Inkydoggy
Intermediate

Well I have had a few of them and own a 75 now that I fixed up over last winter. They are fun to work on and are very reliable if you take care of them like any bike. If you abuse it they can take it. If you take good care of it then you will have a nice strong running reliable bike that will last a long time for you. They are strong running machines and like anything just take care of the maintenance on it and your good to go for a long long time. I never broke down on one after getting it into good running condition but there are some out there that guys really took a toll on so just look it over good and if you can start it then that is 75 percent of the battle. Could be small things like dirty points bad gas etc so just check it out good before you hand over the money. Any Iron head that runs with a good clear title to it is worth at the least 1K to me if not wrecked or missing too many things. A 1977 is the first year with left side shifter mechanics that were done correctly. Not sloppy Gerry Rigged like on the 75 & 76 year models.

Last edited by Inkydoggy; 04-10-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

The unreliability stories are just that, stories from years gone by. However, they are high maintenance motorcycles compared to others - mainly oil changes, chain lubrication, and push rod adjustments.

It is important to go over the bike carefully once you have it. It may need much more than what "he says". Cam cover seal? or other reason for the leak? After 10 years of sitting it needs also the carb overhauled for sure.

$1500 is a good deal. Post up some pics for us to enjoy.

And there is no ride like the sound and fury of an IronHead.

Last edited by IronMick; 04-10-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-10-2014, 06:04 PM
jtuck111
Stage II

This is the only picture of the bike I have right now (more to come if I end up buying it). Also thanks guys! I am assuming the owner has done some work to it since he got it running and was riding it after its 10 year sit, but lost interest (says he has 16 other Harleys so I that is understandable). I plan on getting a full gasket kit and doing all of those, anything else besides that and the carb (besides an oil change and fresh gas) that should be done to it?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Change brake fluid and fork oil as well as primary and engine oils.

Note: primary does not take a full quart of oil. It takes 24 fl oz == 1.5 pints, or until it drips from the primary oil level hole with the bike level.

Check out this helpful thread, a guide to bringing your bike back from its winter hibernation. Also a useful guide for ironheads which have been sitting neglected for a long time ...

Tips For De-hibernating Your IronHead
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=69876

Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Money Pit.

Once you start spending you can't stop. 30yrs later you will look around at all the tools on the wall, all the parts on the shelf, the collection of HD boxes from all over the world and a lazy boy in the garage facing the old IronHead.

It's a sickness that can't be cured once you catch it.

s

Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh...did you think I was kidding??

Winters are long up here...

s

Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks like it's missing the sprocket cover...

Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 77 Ironhead last year and started turning mine into a bobber - there is a thread on here showing my progress.

I fell in love with the ironhead because of this forum. I was looking for a bike to turn into a project and I wanted to build a bobber and the old Ironhead turned out to be the right bike for me. I watched this forum and others and learned all I could about the Ironhead years. I also think (this is bound to **** some guys off - sorry) that the 77 and 78 are (for my money) the best of the lot because they still have the old style frame and they have the properly engineered left side shift and a lot of the motor bugs have been worked out of them by this time. I think that would be a great machine to buy.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottfisher
Oh...did you think I was kidding??

Winters are long up here...

s
Scott I love the man cave - and you are right - ya gotta have something to get ya through those loooooong Canadian winters - especially this last one. Nice place to hang out drink a few cold beers and just dream of riding days to come while you bask in the beauty of your old Ironhead.

Quick Reply: Cant decide if I should get a 77 Ironhead