Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

stripped starter gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 PM
BLOCK76
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped starter gears

I finally registered with the forum, been reading posts to trouble shoot since I bought my 76 Ironhead last spring. Lots of helpful info. Great first bike when it's all working well. Ironing out plently of kinks since it sat with the previous owner. I put new cables, speedometer, Lepera seat, and a fresh coat of Emerald Metallic Green on it, pictures to come. Also new sprocket, starter, generator, solid state regulator, battery, front brakes, some chrome cosmetics and plenty of adjustments. So far a great 2500 mile summer. Recently had my starter grind up the starter drive gear in the starter housing. Stripped both of them. It seems the nut at the end of the shaft loosened up allowing the spacer to slide and the bendix gear wasn't engaging properly. This lead to play in the shaft and the gears got chewed up due to slipping and catching. I can get the parts but my questions are as follows:

Can the gear be replaced on the starter? It is a fairly new starter.

How much play can the drive gear have on the shaft? Is it pressed?

Should I replace the shaft?

The bendix gear, lever and collar were new in the spring and I plan to replace the solenoid while its all apart. Havent had any problems until just recently with the electric start, any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.

Block

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
BLOCK76
3rd Gear

Thanks, helpful article. I am awaiting the arrival of my new parts. Decided to replace the shaft, gear, washers and the needle bearings. The armature gear cannot be replaced without replacing the armature so it's new too.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 PM
BLOCK76
3rd Gear
Default wont charge, everything is new

the starter shaft and gears all went back together well and works fine. I have been battling charging issues since i bought the bike. New battery, starter relay, solenoid, starter, bendix, start button, generator and solid state voltage reg. Checked wires and diagram. All seems good but no charge. It will sit and hold charge but a long ride killed it, so does a few days short rides with no tender charge. No voltage increase when running, running out of options. Polarized. Any suggestions?

Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Work thru this procedure step by step, not leaving out any steps even tho you know some parts must be good ...

Ironhead Charging System Checkout

For the ammeter test you can buy one intended for in-dash mounting at Princess Auto, Harbor Freigtht, TSC or an auto supply for probably less than $10. One that measures up to just 30 amps [rather than 60 amps] is best.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM
BLOCK76
3rd Gear

thanks Mick, off to buy an ammeter. I saw this thread and have checked most of it, figured with new parts I should be set. I'll find it eventually. Holds enough chargeg for a little ride today. - Ben

Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Block,

Went tru same deal on my 78 all new stuff still wouldn't charge, I would even here the "clunk" at the Genny when I would polarize. I took the negative off a couple of times and just kept polarizing and finally its charging. Not sure why or what I did differently but now it works....go figure the lure of the old machines!!

T-Ron