Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

76' Ironhead Bobber

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Frihet11
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76' Ironhead Bobber

I'm looking to buy this 76' Bobber and it will be my first older classic. I'm a bit ignorant in this year and model. Looking at the attached images, what can you tell me?

How much looks original?

How much would you pay for it?

Any obvious work you can see it needing?

I do want to get it, but I don't want to be taken for a ride. Your experience could help save me a lot of heart break and wasted money, which I have very little of. I'm willing to make quite a few sacrifices to afford this bike; I just don't want them to be in vain.

Attached Thumbnails 76' Ironhead Bobber-00a0a_3lshenxmiu6_600x450.jpg   76' Ironhead Bobber-00f0f_3ii1wttxrex_600x450.jpg   76' Ironhead Bobber-00r0r_1pazfaogbzk_600x450.jpg   76' Ironhead Bobber-00v0v_1trqx5jvfef_600x450.jpg  
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I notice in pic #4 there is a tag on the frame. I am not expert in frame numbers, titles, etc, but i believe that the tag indicates a new frame number has been assigned. I would interpret this as a warning to stay away, unless you really want this bike and the title etc is absolutely transferable in any state. So check this out carefully.

Check the serial number on the engine. It should be on the left side below the V of the cylinders. When in the original frame it would match the serial number on the frame, and on the title.

In pic #4 i can see the serial number but it is hard to read. Looks like 4A18807H6. The last digit, if it is really a 6, indicates 1976. The 4A is XLCH which is kick start only. This bike has electric start. So this bike has been thru a lot of changes.

These kinds of changes are typically not done by a competent mechanic, but by an owner who is learning as he goes along, and who may not be very good.

The list of original parts is very short ...

the oil tank may be original or just a similar replacement
what i can see of the frame may be original, or just another frame from the 70s. Given the tag it cannot be trusted.
there is not a single original part on the entire front end
rear fender, tank, seat and shocks are not original
the brass fittings on the engine [rocker nuts, oil lines, pushrod tubes] are not original
the rear wheel and brake system may be original
it looks like the chain guard may have been cut down at the back?
those forward controls are the hated, wretched Danial Boone model; they break at the welds, can only be used by guys with exceptionally long legs, and are dangerous [IMO] in emergency stops as you must move your feet a large distance to brake and downshift
looks to be an under size battery in the battery tray; could be a good replacement for the stock huge XLH [electric start model] battery
the sprocket cover is missing
the exhaust is way too short to be an effective part of the engine; good for looks only if you happen to like the look; probably very loud will attract police attention
ape hanger handle bars are another good for looks item; no good at all for regular rides; obviously not stock
no turn signals or original instruments, so guaranteed that the original wire system has been butchered; in most states, certainly in Ontario Canada, it cannot be licensed without turn signals as it had them originally; a major hassle to re-wire the bike for the missing stuff

It is useless as a parts bike as all the good parts that could be sold on eBay are missing.

I wonder what is the overbore on the engine? These engines can be rebuilt 7 times [.010, .020, ...., .070]. You would have to dismantle to top end to check this. Or rely on what the owner says.

It is worth very little IMO.
I would not even consider buying it.

If it does not [1] start instantly, [2] idle nicely, and [3] run quite well then it is a project bike that will cost many dollars to get running and keep running.

Otherwise if you like the style, it could be a cool bike to have and ride here and there.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Buying old iron is best left to someone who is well versed in old bike or has wise council. Keep educating yourself and eventually you will spot the cobbled together messes that are for sale out there.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Frihet11
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks IronMike

I really appreciate your assistance and Very Sharp Eye. I've pointed out quick a few issues with the bike for me. The gentleman was asking 4.5k for the bike, but I'm thinking its going to cost quite a bit more to get it up to being good antique.

I'm still going out to see it and hear it run, but I think it’s very unlikely that I will still consider buying this one.

Thanks again, and I'll keep my eye out for something old.

J. King.
06' HD V-Rod
00' Honda Valkyrie
04' R1
(Something old to go here)

Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

$4.5K is at least twice, more likely 3 times what it is worth. The seller, as usual, has an inflated view of the value of his bike. The actual value is completely unrelated to the amount of money he has spent on it, and to his feelings about it.

No reasonably knowledgeable person would pay anywhere near what he is asking. For that much you could buy two running IronHeads in near stock condition virtually anywhere in the USA.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Around my neck of the woods, they can be bought from $2500.00 to $3500.00 running. Just depends on condition.

I sold my 74 engine in a 76 frame for $3200.00 five or six years ago.

Springers aren't cheap, that might be part of the price he wants.