Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Now she wont' start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
whitbyrudie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now she wont' start!

Okay with teh exception of the aforementioned top speed issue

(https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironh...top-speed.html)

I haven't really noticed any other major problems with her while riding around locally, and like i said before I only noticed the top speed issue when i got on the highway.

Now, the other day i moved it to teh street to work in my shop, went to move it back adn it would start, starter kept cranking came close to firing a couple times, eventually drained the battery. So I pop the battery out get it charging right away and push the beast (up hill) to my garage and start poking around.,

I can't figure out why it wouldn't start for the life of me, so if igure start with the basics, let's get new plugs for it.

So I get new plugs. Now here's a mystery to start. I start off looking at the pdf HD service manual i have for the bike, says my plugs should be gapped at .06, so I pick up the right set for the bike and measure them like i always do before inserting.... well that's strange they're pregapped at .04

Check the old ones i think

weird

I gap them to .06 to follow the manual thinking maybe that was causing the performance issues as well. Nope, still won't start, starter just keeps cranking, engine wont' even come close to turning over. Now here's where i found something else, which may be odd, may not be, so i'll ask you folks.

When i was running through the wiring after trying to start it, I noticed that the cable going from my positive terminal to the starter was getting very warm, there's another wire that runs from teh positive terminal going to the copper terms and it was both quite warm and had some blackening on it which i hadn't noticed before.

That's about all I have for you at the moment in terms of diagnostics, any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Just what i have heard ...
The 06 plug gap in the FSM is, well, not really correct. 1979 was the first year for a [somewhat] electronic ignition for Sportsters, and apparently HD wanted to really promote it. It was believed [wrongly] that a larger plug gap was associated with improved performance so the marketing types got involved.

Better to follow this guideline ...
Plug gap for mag ignition ~020, points ~ 030, electronic ignition ~040

Wires getting warm like that may mean that the starter needs to be refurbished. Ask here if you decide to dismantle it, we will give you important hints.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM
whitbyrudie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, i had gapped it back down to .04 (the new plugs) and they still won't fire it. and it looks like I need to replace my cable running from positive terminal to the starter, a few wires are frayed at the starter connection point. A buddy of mine (BonesMutley) is coming by with a multimeter to so i can test the plug cables and make sure they're okay.

I will more then likely be refurbishing the starter, as i'll more hten likely be refurbishing everythign eventually but when i get to that point, i'll be sure to let you guys know, will appreciate any and all help as always

Thanks again Mick, I have afeeling we'll be talking a lot in the coming year heh

Cheers

Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check for spark.
check for fuel flow.

s

Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM
sasquatch_38
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

# 1 for scott. I would look at the fuel issue,,a little dirt has stopped many a bike,for the fire,best way to check is pull both plugs,connect your wire to one,and just hold the base of the terminal against the fins on the head,( make sure you use insulated pliers,lol)where you can see the spark,and crank the engine.should be a good zap
The heated wires may just be from you cranking the engine continuously,,, takes a lot of juice=heat.
Just my opinions,for what their worth,,,